Questions about restoring used Cimbali Bistro-Board is working! - Page 14

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
cyclones (original poster)

#131: Post by cyclones (original poster) »

Yes and Yes.
If given a choice between Starbucks and espresso, I'll choose espresso every time.

erics
Supporter ★

#132: Post by erics »

A much clearer representation of the electrical diagram I posted earlier is available here:
/downloads/ ... manual.pdf
I realize you have an M31 and the manual is for an M32 so be a little cautious.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#133: Post by cyclones (original poster) »

I am convinced that the problem is the control board, but have exhausted my knowledge of electronics (pretty thin).

I found a guy here at work who is an electronics repair technician and also has an electronics repair shop at his house. I talked to him today, showed him the board, and he thinks he can fix it for a little over $100 parts and labor and says if he's unsuccessful, he will only charge me $50 for his time. I think that beats a new board, which has been quoted to me at $871. I'm going to take the machine to him on Thursday.
If given a choice between Starbucks and espresso, I'll choose espresso every time.

#134: Post by cyclones (original poster) »

Eric,
Thanks so much for the diagram. I think this is going to help the guy a lot with the board.

movnmik

#135: Post by movnmik »

cyclones wrote:I am convinced that the problem is the control board, but have exhausted my knowledge of electronics (pretty thin).

I found a guy here at work who is an electronics repair technician and also has an electronics repair shop at his house. I talked to him today, showed him the board, and he thinks he can fix it for a little over $100 parts and labor and says if he's unsuccessful, he will only charge me $50 for his time. I think that beats a new board, which has been quoted to me at $871. I'm going to take the machine to him on Thursday.
Chris,

I'm hoping for the best. I'm expecting the same when I try to fire up the M30 so I'm watching with keen interest. Good luck!

Mike

CRCasey

#136: Post by CRCasey »

I still swear that with that buzzer beeping, that is driven by the cpu output pins that that board is running. Yes there could be a problem with that output driver, or even a dead relay, but that sucker is running code. So a repair should not be to bad off.

Have you started going back and testing your switches and led's of the front panel while the controller is out? Membrane bubble switches can die over time, always a good thing to check on. You should have one common wire with each switch closing contact from it's lead to that wire when pressed.
-C
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244

#137: Post by cyclones (original poster) »

I gave the rest of the machine to Lee today and he thinks the possibilities are a bad Schmitt Trigger and/or voltage regulator. He said that since the microcontroller is almost certainly booting up, it's more likely than not OK (no guarantees of course).

CRCasey

#138: Post by CRCasey »

Did you ever call Cimbali and ask for the installation manual. They have both the wiring diagram and hydraulic diagram in the back of them usually. I think is was something silly like 800-Cimbali or such. I looked several times and can find M30, or M32 manuals on the net. But never the 31 series.

-C
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244

#139: Post by cyclones (original poster) »

The M32 is almost exactly the same, with the exception of the LCD. I checked and all the wire and pin numbers are the same in the M32 manual that Eric posted as on my M31. The M32 is just an M31 with a couple of tweaks.

#140: Post by cyclones (original poster) »

I spoke with Lee today and he told me that he found a bad voltage regulator on the control board. He has replaced it and said the machine now responds to the tank full sensor. Next he's going to make sure the pump will turn on and fill the boiler and the heating element will power up.