Southeast Regional Barista Competition 2006 - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
HB
Admin

#21: Post by HB »

... notes thanks to Abe Carmeli...

Lena Abed, Open Eye Cafe - Warm, cardamom, cinnamon, milk. Served with baklava on side. Middle Eastern music, glass cups. Instructions: inhale deeply to get the cardamon, 90% of taste is smell. Served the baklava on a flat dish. Named dish after first coffee shop name.

Janet Konz, Murky Coffee - Using Toscano. Starts with cappuccino. Risk taker she says. Funky music low volume. Some reggae, black cappuccino cups. "The drink you've been waiting for your entire life". Espresso: Red & black cups.

Signature drink: Maple butter, espresso, on top of it blueberry sauce - home made. Inspiration: Blueberry pancakes. Taste like pancake but in a drink. Steam the milk with the blueberry sauce. Served in small sweet wine glasses. Hot drink. Stir drink before you drink.

Matthew McDaniel. Octane Coffee. Again using Toscano. Could someone shoot me please??? Starts with espresso. Rock/Pop music his own creation. Cappuccino next. Music is his first love. Musician.

Signature drink: a dark chocolate, Nutella chocolate spread steamed in milk. Served in white ceramic cappuccino cups.

Jon Wilde, Mug Shotz - Starts with espresso. 9 bean blend. Slight body. Earthy smoky tones used in his cafe,

Signature drink: Thai Berdiado? Coconut milk, honey, orange essence. Poured into cappuccino cups. Add espresso, steam milk. Served with slice of orange on the rim. Served with small piece of ginger on the saucer. Advise judges to rub ginger around the rim then drink. Ran overtime.
Dan Kehn

HB
Admin

#22: Post by HB »

Lem Butler, Ryan Goodrow, Daryn Berlin, Nicholas Cho, Lena Abed, Michelle Rae Bradicich
Dan Kehn

HB
Admin

#23: Post by HB »

And the winner is...
Dan Kehn

HB
Admin

#24: Post by HB »

Lem Butler
Dan Kehn

HB
Admin

#25: Post by HB »

Daryn Berlin
Dan Kehn

HB
Admin

#26: Post by HB »

Nicholas Cho
Dan Kehn

HB
Admin

#27: Post by HB »

Congratulations to Nick and the rest of the competitors! I'll try to write a few words once I've completed my caffeine detox treatments. In the meantime, check out Ben's blog Chemically Imbalanced, which will soon feature videos of the SERBC finals.
Dan Kehn

Caffewerks

#28: Post by Caffewerks »

Nick Cho! :D

Congrats Mr. Portafilter.net, you deserve it.

e61brewski

#29: Post by e61brewski »

check out Ben's blog Chemically Imbalanced, which will soon feature videos of the SERBC finals
this is where i eat giant helpings of crow. my camera didn't catch anything. no reason, really, it just didn't. now i slink off to weep bitter rock-salt tears. and explain to my wife.
LMWDP #044
ben.szobody.com

MarkO (original poster)

#30: Post by MarkO (original poster) »

Wow, what a great event! Huge congrats to Nick, Daryn, and Lem for their top scores. And more heartfelt congrats and appreciation go out to ALL the competitors, sponsors, volunteers, and supporters that made the whole fabulous weekend possible.

My good friend and 2006 SERBC finalist Ryan Goodrow of murky coffee asked me to give special thanks to H-B'er and 2006 judge Bob Barraza for laying down the chemistry knowledge at 3Cups Saturday night.

Great to see everyone, and stay tuned for more SERBC news at http://www.counterculturecoffee.com.

- Mark
Mark Overbay