Espresso machine: Buying a second hand higher end model or a brand new mid range model? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Jeff
Team HB

#11: Post by Jeff »

I've got a 1Zpresso JX-Pro which does a good job with espresso across a range of machines. It is easy to grind with typical "espresso" roasts. 1Zpresso releases new models seemingly continually, which I haven't kept up with. I've got a K-Plus coming, but it will be a while until I can comment meaningfully on its in-cup qualities.

MCal2003

#12: Post by MCal2003 »

Higher quality. At least hardware with the reputation of higher quality have for a long time retained value. Couple decades ago I sold the HX/E61 vibe pumper for close to what I had purchased it for. Same for a Mazzer Mini. Back then in my futile search for a quality hand grinder for espresso there were many bids significantly higher than what I was willing to spend on some old "classic" makes and models. Definitely way more $$s than the original msrp.

Purchased the MCal back in '03 for a fraction of the eBay prices if you don't factor inflation. Should have purchased a few extras :D
LMWDP #151

Advertisement
BaristaBoy E61

#13: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Ypuh wrote:I'm a big proponent of buying items second hand, especially the more durable type such as espresso machine. With a bit of maintenance and love, they last for decades. Most (previous) owners I've seen have been very careful of their machines, but that's mainly because I hang around forums and not so much the general public.

Second hand espresso machines are quite expensive though. Prices have risen and demand increasing. It's likely the seller can recoup 80% of what they paid (sometimes even break even), whilst on the other hand you can often still get a discount on a new machine somewhere (just call a shop owner and you'll be surprised, I always managed to get 10-15% off without too much hassling). If the previous owner didn't do any maintenance/service, then it's often not worth it to buy a 2nd hand machine.
I'm mostly in agreement with this post. As there is usually no warranty with 2nd hand equipment, the real rounding out of the true or actual cost is purchase price + your time + your aggravation + additional replacement parts cost. If this is something you're not up for, then my advice would be to skip the 'savings' and buy new.

As lead times before delivery of some equipment is very long, the cost of used equipment is often virtually full retail price. I have a few rules for myself regarding the purchase of 2nd hand equipment. First is to not get emotionally involved, there is always a way to buy new even if it involves a wait time. As such 2nd hand equipment has to be a deal, no more than 70% of its original retail value or less. This will also go a longer way that should I decide to bail on it after ownership for whatever reason, I wouldn't have to take as much of a bath on it as if I had bought it for near retail price, in which case buying new might have been even cheaper.

Fall in love after you've negotiated fair monetary deal; be prepared to walk away at any point before an agreement is struck if it doesn't feel right.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

pdx-climber

#14: Post by pdx-climber »

I understand the availabilty and pricing where you are is likely very different.. as may be your budget. I personally got a used Breville ~$250 model for $35 used. Kinda hated it - very inconsistent and hard to get a decent shot... sold it for $50. I got a 6yr old E61 machine for $1250. Within a month I found a 1yr old E61 machine for ~$1100 so I sold the first for $1400. I recently sold the second machine for $1700 as I'm travelling for a year or so.

You have to know what you are looking for and be in the right market.

Personally seeing these Breville machines you are looking at in the $300-500 range I would not touch them. They are very often mistreated - few people care to clean, descale, use proper water, etc. The innards are pretty simple and excluding the electronics, they are easy to fix but do cost a bit. But of course you can fIND many people who love them. It's all relative. Ive seen them go very cheap and been tempting to buy just to resell. Ive also bought them and had them be complete misused piles of junk. Ive seen Breville Dual Boilers for 500-600 USD used... been pretty tempted by them. Take your time and find a great used deal if you can.

I use a 1zpresso Kplus when travelling/camping and Im quite happy. I got it on Black Friday pricing. I think they are hands-down the way to go - find the one that fits your needs and budget.