The Espresso Machine MOST of You Should Buy - Page 13

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
BaristaBoy E61

#121: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

PIXIllate wrote:This is exactly what the E61 flow control valve does except it's much smoother and less jerky/sudden than the GS3MP. I'm not saying that machine doesn't have it's advantages but if you want nothing to do with an E61 valve you probably won't want anything to with a touchier version of the same thing.
Jake_G wrote:The end result of this is that there is a paddle position for every brew pressure on the GS/3 MP. Yes, it is a bit touchy, but once you find where 6 bar is on the paddle, it's always there.

- Jake

The reason I want nothing to do with the E61 flow control is that to me it's rinky-dink. I would be OK with the GS3MP that I would hope is more elegant.

I don't really care much about all that's being parsed here. Throw the speedo, tack & rear view mirror (unless it's being used to view the bottom of my naked portafilter) out the side window. I'm a kind of a guy that's driving this thing by the seat of my pants just looking out the front 'windshield' at what's happening at the bottom of my naked portafilter, as I now do with plumbed in line pressure preinfusion.

BTW: My wife finally said, "Get the Speedster Idromatic"... But that was after a couple of glasses of wine. Should I surprise her?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

fiu-bździu

#122: Post by fiu-bździu »

In principle, would it be possible to write DE1 UI that gives the user full real time control?
I recognize it would not give the kind of tactile feedback that a level machine gives but would it be very different from a needle valve machine?

lessthanjoey

#123: Post by lessthanjoey »

fiu-bździu wrote:In principle, would it be possible to write DE1 UI that gives the user full real time control?
I recognize it would not give the kind of tactile feedback that a level machine gives but would it be very different from a needle valve machine?
DE1 already has a grouphead controller if that's what you want but most users find it unnecessary. There is also a fully dynamic language coming shortly for writing complex and adaptive profiles.

I'll just restate though that I use the ghc very occasionally when I'm way off on a profile, and despite that lack of use almost never have anything short of a very good shot given my normal approach to shots, and almost never sink a shot. With constantly changing coffees and many open simultaneously.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#124: Post by Brewzologist »

Brewzologist wrote: 3) You state the flow in the DE1 is not real. Pardon my ignorance, but isn't flow ideally measured by a scale? And therefore isn't that independent of the DE1? Does the DE1 measure flow based on an estimation at the pump only? Or can you also use the measured flow from a Bluetooth connected scale?
FWIW; This recent post indirectly references the challenges perhaps Jayson is referring to above, along with potential improvements in that area: https://coffeeadastra.com/2021/07/12/on ... ed-solids/

I think this example highlights another key consideration for those choosing a more technical vs analog espresso machine (beyond the obvious user interface differences); and that is if you choose a technical machine you must also have faith that problems with the implementation are solvable via software and/or incremental hardware updates.

lessthanjoey

#125: Post by lessthanjoey replying to Brewzologist »

Would you mind elaborating on your thoughts here because my impression of Gagne's post is that it highlights insights that can only come from a Decent and has nothing about a "problem" with using a Decent vs a manual machine.

walr00s
Supporter ♡

#126: Post by walr00s »

lessthanjoey wrote:Would you mind elaborating on your thoughts here because my impression of Gagne's post is that it highlights insights that can only come from a Decent and has nothing about a "problem" with using a Decent vs a manual machine.
Because the flow model depends on so many parameters, it is not rare to see the flow rate being off by 10-20% on the DE1. Therefore, I thought we could not reconstruct something useful and repeatable in terms of a live TDS curve during a shot that is based on the difference in output weight minus input flow of water. Worse, the measurements provided by the Acaia scale are very noisy, especially when estimating the change of weight per unit time.
As someone who writes software for a living, I'm impressed by their ability to estimate this closely. At first blush, it sounds like a very complex thing to model. But also as someone who works with software for a living, I don't like software that guesses and I especially don't like software that depends on software that's guessing. People (trained, usually highly educated people) using software that guesses is one thing, but other software using guessing software almost always doesn't account for known flaws in the dependency's models. So you have a scale that's using software to guess and an espresso machine that's using software to guess. I find it hard to believe this isn't the Babbage problem.

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#127: Post by pizzaman383 »

I think that this thread illustrates that different home-baristas value different characteristics in their espresso machines. When one states what others should do they are saying what thay value.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

HB
Admin

#128: Post by HB »

JayBeck wrote:The Lelit Bianca is the best overall OUT OF THE BOX value in espresso equipment as of March 2021. If you want to have the most consistent, best tasting espresso of your life, this is what most of you should be buying.

<snip>

In subsequent posts, I will elaborate on the claims.
A few members have noted offline that this thread has drifted far from the original topic. To encourage more thoughtful discussion of the ancillary topics presented in this thread, I'm closing it for further comments. Contributors who would like to split their posts into a new thread should use the "Report a Post" (!) button for your post and select "This thread has multiple subjects and should be split into separate threads". A moderator will then split it into a new thread.

If the OP wishes to continue this thread, please contact me offline with suggestions of how to proceed (new thread, linked series of threads, etc).
Dan Kehn