Grinder upgrade, budget up to $3500

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Mashie

#1: Post by Mashie »

Looking to possibly upgrading my grinder. I have had a Mazzer Mini for about 15 years. I have no complaints with the Mazzer except I single dose and I don't like the retention.
Therefore, I am thinking an upgrade is worth pursuing. My budget is up to $3500.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

What styles of coffee do you enjoy?

Do you have a desire for a second grinder for drip or are willing to compromise with a single grinder?

Is a grinder the size of a shop grinder acceptable?

Advertisement
Mashie (original poster)

#3: Post by Mashie (original poster) »

I prefer medium to dark roast espresso beans.

I don't need a separate grinder for drip coffee.

Before ordering a grinder I would confirm grinder dimensions, assuring it'd fit in the space I have.

Mashie

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

Weber Key, Versalab and Niche Zero are the three that come to mind that would likely fit your needs. All 3 will likely take some time to get but I'd guess the wait will be worth it.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by PIXIllate »

Kafatek Monolith Conical if those are your roast preferences. One of the Kafatek Flats if you go lighter.

Shenrei

#6: Post by Shenrei »

If I were in your position now with a taste toward medium and dark espresso, I would be considering the Kafatek Monolith Conical as well.
- Tim

Mashie (original poster)

#7: Post by Mashie (original poster) »

Looking at Ceado E37SD. Any thoughts?

Advertisement
PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by PIXIllate replying to Mashie »

Don't. Lots of unhappy people here if you search.

Jeff
Team HB

#9: Post by Jeff »

Big conicals, after a lot of FOMO with some specific, modern burrs, are again being acknowledged as top-end grinders for classic espresso. There is a belief (not a proven fact) that the lower-RPM conicals are a bit better than their faster counterparts.

I have yet to see what I would consider a "designed for single-dose" grinder from a classic manufacturer. All I've seen seem to be the same design, evolved from a hopper/doser over the decades, with mainly cosmetic changes. Sticking a puffer on top and slanting it at a stylish angle may sell grinders, but doesn't solve core retention issues.

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by ShotClock »

Especially for medium to dark espresso and no filter coffee, the Niche zero is fantastic. While I don't have the breadth of experience of many commenters here, i have a Niche and a monolith flat at the minute. The Niche has fantastically thick shots, is very easy to dial in, has excellent work flow, and is generally easy to live with. The monolith is great for filter coffee and light roast espresso, but not significantly better than the Niche for the medium comfort blends and Italian espresso that I've been drinking recently, at least to my palate.

Since it is also a fraction of the price of the other grinders, and readily available nowadays, you could easily pick one up just to try. I think the other grinders mentioned here are something like 3-5x the price, so the saving could be quite significant if you like it...