Hand grinder for light roast espresso / clarity

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
nisb

#1: Post by nisb »

I've finally had it with the office super auto and have decided to get an espresso setup. My office is architecturally stunning but about as sound proof as a tent, so I've decided to go with an open boiler lever and a portable hand grinder (such that I can go to the stairway to grind in case the noise would be bothersome).

At home I have the 64mm cast SSP burrs and would ideally like something of equal or higher clarity (they were a compromise with my wife who drinks medium roast). I understand this may not be possible with a small conical burr hand grinder, but looking to get as much clarity as possible within the category.

I'm flexible on price, but minded towards a 'value' purchase.

I've been looking at the Kingrinder K6, based on Lance Hedricks recent YouTube roundup, as it has Commandante-style burrs, 16 micron adjustments and is very reasonably priced.

Any views on the K6, or other hand grinders that you'd recommend?

jamescauwelier

#2: Post by jamescauwelier »

Maybe it would be worth waiting for https://momentemgrinder.com/

Lindamar

#3: Post by Lindamar »

nisb wrote:I've finally had it with the office super auto and have decided to get an espresso setup. My office is architecturally stunning but about as sound proof as a tent, so I've decided to go with an open boiler lever and a portable hand grinder (such that I can go to the stairway to grind in case the noise would be bothersome).
Never considered bringing in a hand grinder to the office, but that's actually brilliant.

jandrew

#4: Post by jandrew »

I have had a K6 for several months and am quite happy with its quality and the results in the cup (from my Flair). However, I am largely a medium roast person and most often drink long blacks, so I can not offer any valid remarks regarding tasting/clarity notes with light roasts.

spressomon

#5: Post by spressomon »

Hand grinders with burr sets and handle length designed with higher mechanical advantage test my patience with some taking 2-3 minutes to hand grind harder medium to medium-light beans for espresso. Others, like my former Apollo hand grinder, are relatively fast, typically 45-ish seconds to grind 20g for espresso, but anything north of medium-dark roasts and/or harder density beans and it's a hand fight.

I've owned more than a few different hand grinders over the years starting with the original hand-made Pharos from Doug & Barb (Orphan Espresso) many years ago. The only hand grinder that didn't get old fast, is my Mahlgut MG-1; no longer made. OE's current Pharos model with their Bench Dogs or a mounting plate system, is very similar...and with the same 68mm burr set. For grinding anything but soft beans on a daily basis, especially when you want more than 1 or 2 espressos, that's my recommendation. And I have yet to taste any of the 47/48mm burr sets found in the majority of current crop hand grinders compare to the flavor and texture the 68mm burrs provide.
No Espresso = Depresso