Mahlkonig EK-43S For Home Use

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
NarwhalBarista

#1: Post by NarwhalBarista »

Hello people of HB,

This is my first post on home-barista, but I've been around for a while. I recently stumbled upon an ek-43s for what I believe to be a pretty reasonable price. I am currently using a DE1Pro and a Baratza Sette 270. I have been looking into something like a Lagom P64 for a while, but for a few hundred more dollars, I could get an ek-43s locally, and I think that the 98mm burrs would be worth the few hundred dollar upgrade. I was wondering what the primary drawbacks of using such a commercially focused grinder in the home setting are.

The grinder is listed at $2200. Should I buy it? What are the pros vs the cons? Do the cons outweigh the pros in your eyes?

Any feedback/input is appreciated! Thank you!

Ypuh

#2: Post by Ypuh »

"Buy first, ask questions later" is my motto.

Having said that, it's loud, robust, works perfect and $2.200 sounds reasonable (if it includes the Titus mod). Personally I wouldn't buy it for home use due to its sound, size and it's capable of way more than what you need, but others have made it work. I see it as a workhorse for large volume shops, but the best way for home is likely by single dosing so you don't have loads of retention.
I don't want a Decent
★ Helpful

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by blondica73 »

NarwhalBarista wrote:Hello people of HB,

This is my first post on home-barista, but I've been around for a while. I recently stumbled upon an ek-43s for what I believe to be a pretty reasonable price. I am currently using a DE1Pro and a Baratza Sette 270. I have been looking into something like a Lagom P64 for a while, but for a few hundred more dollars, I could get an ek-43s locally, and I think that the 98mm burrs would be worth the few hundred dollar upgrade. I was wondering what the primary drawbacks of using such a commercially focused grinder in the home setting are.

The grinder is listed at $2200. Should I buy it? What are the pros vs the cons? Do the cons outweigh the pros in your eyes?

Any feedback/input is appreciated! Thank you!
I bought one at the beginning of 2021 and I love it. Yes, it is loud and challenging if you live in an apartment; it is built like a tank, it is easy to adjust, and if built after 2018, it is pretty aligned. Mine has Turkish burrs, so it quickly grinds for espresso. I have other grinders (ES65s GBW and MC4); however, if I could only have one grinder, the EK43s would be the one.

winnerwinner

#4: Post by winnerwinner »

I think I was looking at the same EK43s. It looks like a good one. Burr size vs price you can't get better.

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

Remember to include the price of a new set of burrs if either the EK43's are worn or not the cut you want.

What you may need for upgraded parts to get to the level of alignment you desire is another question.

NarwhalBarista (original poster)

#6: Post by NarwhalBarista (original poster) »

How exactly would I go about assessing the burrs when I go to check it out in person?

NarwhalBarista (original poster)

#7: Post by NarwhalBarista (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:Remember to include the price of a new set of burrs if either the EK43's are worn or not the cut you want.

What you may need for upgraded parts to get to the level of alignment you desire is another question.
Im not certain if my previous comment was actually treated as a reply so I am trying again haha. How would I go about assessing the condition of the burrs/their alignment? Im going to bring my decent and some beans and pull a few shots with it, but aside from that, I dont really know how to assess that