The Automatica by Machina Maximus

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
DamianWarS

#1: Post by DamianWarS »

I came across this new automatic pour over machine. At first I thought it was a joke because the concept seems almost too basic (and then over engineered) It's a machine that tilts a kettle. (it also has a rotating stand and it heats the water)

So this device heats the kettle via BT control, tilts the kettle and turns the pour over, then it un-tilts and repeats and apparently all programmable via your phone. It's interesting and the video suggests a self service potential which I'm not too sure about. I'm guessing it has scales built in too, or at least it should.

I'm not quite sure who the market is for this device, commercial or home? There's a review for it at a place that sells coffee equipment called Otten in Indonesia (in Indonesian) but they sell it too so its more of a feature break down than a proper review. I'd be interested in an unbiased review. It costs like $500 USD (priced from that Indonesian store) and I can't tell from the pricing who the market is for too. It's on a promotion and the regular price is close to $700 USD.

I'm not sure what to think of it but I'm not looking to buy it.

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

I'm sure I've seen this before. I certainly think it's a cool display for a shop, but I'm surprised that they don't move the mug around more so the pour is more likely to wet all the grounds.

SteveRhinehart

#3: Post by SteveRhinehart »

ira wrote:I'm sure I've seen this before.
Saint Anthony debuted it in 2018. https://dailycoffeenews.com/2018/04/30/ ... utomatica/

I'm also surprised I haven't heard much about it since then. I suppose they didn't start shipping units in 2019 as planned?

DamianWarS (original poster)

#4: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) replying to SteveRhinehart »

From a comment in the link you posted, there was some sort of lawsuit going on and if true the release may have been delayed. The article has the product at $1000 which is twice the price of what I can buy it for today in Indonesia of all places. Sounds like something has happened since that article was posted.