Brewing times with large flat burr grinder

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by ShotClock »

Having just received a monolith with SLM burrs, I've realized that my previous V60/Origami target times of 4 minutes or so (with Niche zero) result in over extraction.

What are your target times for dialing in a pour over with similar grinders? Any other tips would be much appreciated.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

With new-to-me grinders or burrs, I blind cup various grind settings to determine which grind size I like the taste of best, and repeat for a few different coffees. I also use a refractometer to confirm that I am not tasting differences in yield, but this is a confirmation step only (with cupping, I measure with pourover).

You should expect a huge drop in V60/Origami times from a Niche to a 'better' grinder if you don't adjust your pour rate and/or pour height to compensate. ('Better' is in quotes because it all depends on one's tastes.)

Here's a very specific sample recipe using a small plastic Origami w/Kalita wave 155 filter paper that Ply, Canadian WBrC champion, used at last year's World championships (coffee was a blend of a natural and washed Geisha's, and a light, but not super-light, roast):
- 12.5 g coffee
- water at 92C
- 50g bloom
- @45sec pour water to 130g in 13sec, 6.5ml/sec, 4-5 inches above brewer, drain by 1:20-1:25
- @1:30 pour water to 200g in 13sec, 5.3ml/sec, pour as close to the bed as possible
- Total brew time 2:08-2:15min

Good luck!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

EvanOz85

#3: Post by EvanOz85 »

4 minutes is extremely long, IMO. I usually aim for 2:45 at most with flat burrs. Even with conical I don't go too much longer if at all.

ShotClock (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by ShotClock (original poster) »

Thanks a lot for the tips, times quoted are shorter than i had imagined. Will have to run a quasi systematic test with i get chance.

rajbangsa

#5: Post by rajbangsa »

4-5 mins for me (Nordic roast 5 pours V60 4:6)

I grinds pretty fine for 80mm flat and always taste good no matter what how muddy it look

EvanOz85

#6: Post by EvanOz85 »

rajbangsa wrote:4-5 mins for me (Nordic roast 5 pours V60 4:6)

I grinds pretty fine for 80mm flat and always taste good no matter what how muddy I look
You must be grinding espresso-fine to get times that long in a V60? Or is this not for single cup?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#7: Post by baldheadracing »

The original 4:6 20g:300g took 3:30 with an EK43 at a very coarse setting. As one waits for complete draw-down between each of the five(usually) pours, it is pretty easy to get long overall times even with a grind that is "typical V60."
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

erik82

#8: Post by erik82 »

With my EG1 with SSP burrs I aim for 2:30-3:00min for a 18:300gr pourover using Nordic roasts.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by LBIespresso »

New Max with SLM using Origami and Kalita wave 185 filters I am brewing 33g/550g in 3:15-3:30

That's my starting point. It usually works great but sometimes I tweak it.
LMWDP #580

Ejquin

#10: Post by Ejquin »

On my Titus Nautilus with brew burrs and a Stagg X, I routinely get 5-6 minute or so brew times (with a 2 minute bloom). Less bypass is going to = longer brew times. And if you have a good grinder and technique you should be able to push the grind finer and have longer brews that won't taste astringent.

But, I think generally comparing brew times is not all that productive. Different coffees are going to take different times and certainly there will be a large difference from grinder to grinder. The most important thing is the extraction (if you're measuring that) and taste.