Different espresso crema, same coffee

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Nawaf

#1: Post by Nawaf »

Can anyone tell me why is the foam in the top cup looks like fermentation foam?
While the other one looks normal,
The top cup was extracted on ascaso steel due, ( thermoblock machine ) and baratza sette 270 grinder,
The other cup was extracted on gs3 av and ek43 SSP HU burrs,
All the parameters was the same, ratio, temperature and dose,
Except extraction time since the SSP extract faster,
Coffee beans natural Ethiopian same batch same roast in both cups,

ojt

#2: Post by ojt »

I suspect the grind particle size distribution is quite a bit narrower, more uniform, on the EK43 whereas you'd get more fines on the Sette. Looking at the crema there it kinda looks like a bit overextracted with those blotches and bubbles.

Probably the coffee machine makes a difference also.

Were the photos taken in the same place? Just wondering how much different lighting might've affected the crema color.
Osku

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

Grind size and flow rate affects how the crema is ripped from the ground coffee, I'm not surprised you see different crema with different machines and grinders.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Nawaf (original poster)

#4: Post by Nawaf (original poster) »

ojt wrote:I suspect the grind particle size distribution is quite a bit narrower, more uniform, on the EK43 whereas you'd get more fines on the Sette. Looking at the crema there it kinda looks like a bit overextracted with those blotches and bubbles.

Probably the coffee machine makes a difference also.

Were the photos taken in the same place? Just wondering how much different lighting might've affected the crema color.

You are right with the fines from sette,
I've tried to grind for v60 on it and there was a ton of fines,

Unfortunately the pictures was taken in different places and different light source,
But the colors of foam on photos near from real time colors,

Nawaf (original poster)

#5: Post by Nawaf (original poster) »

yakster wrote:Grind size and flow rate affects how the crema is ripped from the ground coffee, I'm not surprised you see different crema with different machines and grinders.

Yes the flow rate from ascaso is 190ml per 30sec,
And 250ml per 30sec on gs3,
But does the flow rate have this huge impact on the extraction ?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

Nawaf wrote: Yes the flow rate from ascaso is 190ml per 30sec,
And 250ml per 30sec on gs3,
But does the flow rate have this huge impact on the extraction ?
The flow rate I was speaking of is the speed of the pull through the coffee puck during the extraction, not the water debit of your machine without the portafilter on. I'm not sure how to qualify the impact of the extraction, but I learned very well with levers that changing the grind size and subsequent flow rate of the coffee made a dramatic impact on the crema. I enjoy good, thick crema and started pulling levers quite a while ago, I found that you can grind too fine for good crema and hypothesized that the flow of the water through the coffee is not fast enough to emulsify the oils into the crema. Since you noted that the extraction time is different, I'm thinking that accounts for the difference in crema.

I'd recommend you let flavor be your guide and dial in for best flavor of the espresso.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272