Stagg X pour-over review, experience - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Acavia (original poster)

#11: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

daustin777 wrote:I use the Stagg X with Hario carafes.
Which Hario carafe?

daustin777

#12: Post by daustin777 replying to Acavia »

David Austin

Advertisement
Acavia (original poster)

#13: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

I keep trying the Scagg X. Something I have noticed with two different coffees. After cooling, which I like to drink my coffee as it is often sweeter and tastier as it cools, both had "fishy" tastes to them when made in the Stagg. It is an unpleasant taste I have never had in any coffees before, and it was in two different coffees, and all but one Stagg brew had that taste.

Ejquin

#14: Post by Ejquin »

Hmmm. "Fishy" indeed..

Acavia (original poster)

#15: Post by Acavia (original poster) replying to Ejquin »

I got trapezoid #4 filters. They will probably push down better than V60 filters. V60 filter clump at bottom.

Acavia (original poster)

#16: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

Ejquin wrote:Hmmm. "Fishy" indeed..
I guess it is a good sign from the Stagg X.

A specialty coffee roaster told me, when I asked if "fishy" was a known taste in coffee, that it is a roasting defect that can come out in high extractions, and if present is usually tasted after the coffee cools which is how I experienced it.

Jeff001

#17: Post by Jeff001 »

Does the inside of the dripper have exposed metal? I might be completely weird and on my own here, but I think metallic taste can resemble fishy taste. I also very very much hate fish and the smell of it so I could be very biased!

I'm hesitant to even bring it up because I certainly don't want to put that in your subconscious, I've heard great things about the stagg x and I believe it's currently Jonathan Gagne's preferred dripper (with some modifications).

Anyway, even if that was the cause it's probably go away quickly after some use

Advertisement
Acavia (original poster)

#18: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

Jeff001 wrote:Does the inside of the dripper have exposed metal?
Yes, it is stainless steel - all of the brewing contact part.

RHPours

#19: Post by RHPours »

I think people will prefer what they prefer, and if the Kalita works for you and the Stagg X provides no improvement, then that is what works in your case.

I've been using the Stagg X for nearly 18 months and it's by far my most used brewer and the one that provides the highest extractions and best tasting coffee in most cases. I do use the Kalita with some special coffees when I need a brew with more contact time, because the Stagg X with a mesh is almost too fast in some cases.

Most of my Stagg X brews are between 2:15 and 3:00. The Kalita brews are usually longer and my favored recipe uses a slightly lower temperature.

I like the Kalita just fine, but I don't care for its tendency to clog, though the copper one I have is generally good and pretty fast as far as Kalita brewers go. Both the Stagg and Kalita have their place and I enjoy them both.

CathyWeeks

#20: Post by CathyWeeks »

Ejquin wrote:I I use a dispersion screen at the bottom to prevent the filter from sagging into the holes.
What are you using as the dispersion screen?

I found that as I'm blooming the coffee, if I tug upward on the filter, it seems to take care of the clogging (not doing so can add a surprising amount of time to a brew, several minutes in the case of the XF when brewing with 50g of coffee). Do you find that the screen makes a noticeable difference over simply lifting it a bit?

I get that it helps to control variables, allowing the grind size to control the speed of the brew, rather than the holes in the dripper which can be inconsistent based on how clogged it is, and how much grounds are being used (clogged holes slow down a bigger brew proportionally more than a smaller brew), just wondering how much it seems to matter.

I personally really like the stagg dripper - I accidentally get some wonderful cups out of it, something that's never happened with my V60. Now if only I can learn how to deliberately get great coffee from it. :-)