Chicago Cafe Recommendations (Coffee Fest 2022)

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Milligan
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by Milligan »

I'm going to Chicago soon to the Coffee Fest expo. I'll be staying with a friend and we wanted to jump around to a few cafes drinking espresso and such. Anyone live in Chicago or have knowledge of great cafes to visit? Looking for both 3rd wave fruity espresso and traditional. Should be a fun and highly caffeinated couple of days. We will mostly be around the river walk area but wouldn't be against jumping around a bit though for great coffee.

Thanks

foam2

#2: Post by foam2 »

try dark matter - they have several locations.

https://www.darkmattercoffee.com/?gclid ... h0QAvD_BwE

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

Intelligentsia is one of big thrid wave players, it has downtown locations.

If you get to the Bucktown and Wicker Park area (Along Milwaukee avenue from Division to Fullerton), you'll be buried in small craft cafes. IMO, Gaslight, Ipsento, Wormhole and Streets are the standouts. But there are many that I have not tried
Jim Schulman

Milligan (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by Milligan (original poster) »

foam2 wrote:try dark matter - they have several locations.

https://www.darkmattercoffee.com/?gclid ... h0QAvD_BwE
Thanks for the recommendation! They look funky

Supporter ❤

#5: Post by Milligan (original poster) »

another_jim wrote:Intelligentsia is one of big thrid wave players, it has downtown locations.

If you get to the Bucktown and Wicker Park area (Along Milwaukee avenue from Division to Fullerton), you'll be buried in small craft cafes. IMO, Gaslight, Ipsento, Wormhole and Streets are the standouts. But there are many that I have not tried
That is great info. He has a blue bottle right under his apartment and an intelligentsia close. I'm sure we will slide in those before hitting some smaller places.

cmin

#6: Post by cmin »

another_jim wrote:Intelligentsia is one of big thrid wave players, it has downtown locations.

Either I have the worst luck with Intelly or I just don't like them lol. I gave up, tried in Chitown numerous times and kept getting crappy espressos and mehhhh pour over. I had better coffee at the Starbucks Reserve store lol. I don't even bother with Intelly now.

But Dark Matter, Gaslight, Ipsento, Metric etc yeah all excellent. And Wormhole is such a cool shop. Don't think ever tried Streets?

Don't forget to hit up Local Option, crazy cool and good metal bar in Lincoln Park Lmao. Blaring Slayer 1st time I went there, killer beer list. And they had some very rare beers that are night impossible.

Don't forget to sip some Malort OP!

Supporter ❤

#7: Post by Milligan (original poster) replying to cmin »

Haha! I was just talking last week about Malort to my friend. He said he has a shot waiting for me! He is super into metal so Local Option seems like a place we need to go as well.

Mat-O-Matic
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Mat-O-Matic »

I really like Dark Matter. Not everything is dark, they're experimental, and the shops are fun.

In 1998 Intelligentsia was an exciting place to visit in 1998. Now they're.... fine. Beautiful, well-run shops. Black Cat was originally made for Jinx Café on Division which had pinball machines, punk atmosphere, and gardineira-stuffed grilled cheese sandwiches-a coffeehouse aesthetic that I miss.

Keen to hear back on what shops stand out during your tour!
LMWDP #716: Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.

Yum

#9: Post by Yum »

I grew up here ! And live downtown. 60plus yrs. Sorry to say but I DONT like the roasters here. Especially African,fruity beans. Only chocolate, Columbia beans here . Pourover & espresso. To thick for my tongue! I never buy here in town & always buy from out of state roasters. Sorry to rain on your Is parade !!!!!
:(

another_jim
Team HB

#10: Post by another_jim »

Yum wrote: ... Sorry to say but I DONT like the roasters here ... Sorry to rain on your Is parade !!!!!:(
Now that I know what you like and dislike; I'm giving up espresso and Ethiopian coffees. :roll:
Jim Schulman