San Diego Coffee Scene - 2022 edition - Page 2

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Bebopbird (original poster)

#11: Post by Bebopbird (original poster) »

858 wrote:I like your list, and love all those spots for various reasons. I also love Zumbar for quality medium roast beans. I also buy beans from Seven Seas. If I want to eat and sit for a while I like Copa Vida. If I'm in the mood for tacos el gordo, I like to stop at cafe moto on the way. Moe coffee made a good espresso. The to go counter at Buona Forchetta pull their shots on lever machines, so far my favorite espresso in Coronado. Looking forward to everyone else's recommendations.
Your list sounds like a perfect way to spend a whole day in SD!

caeffe

#12: Post by caeffe »

858 wrote:.....The to go counter at Buona Forchetta pull their shots on lever machines, so far my favorite espresso in Coronado. ....
Used to frequent SD quite a bit (circa 2012/2013) and Buona Forchetta when they 1st started in South Park (i think that's what the area is called). I now see that Buona Forchetta has branched out with a few more locations.

But... a lever machine! in a commercial US establishment is worth a planned visit back for me. There used to be a thread in the Lever forum that details where lever machines are.

Do you recall what brand/machine it was? Maybe a Bosco?
LMWDP #162

858

#13: Post by 858 »

Bebopbird wrote:Your list sounds like a perfect way to spend a whole day in SD!
Indeed! I've taken friends on taco tours, but your list + other replies would make an excellent coffee tour! Even better: a coffee and taco tour!

858

#14: Post by 858 »

caeffe wrote:Used to frequent SD quite a bit (circa 2012/2013) and Buona Forchetta when they 1st started in South Park (i think that's what the area is called). I now see that Buona Forchetta has branched out with a few more locations.

But... a lever machine! in a commercial US establishment is worth a planned visit back for me. There used to be a thread in the Lever forum that details where lever machines are.

Do you recall what brand/machine it was? Maybe a Bosco?
I like that idea! I would tour all the "lever spots". I think this one was a 2 group Athena. But if you are dining and order an espresso, they'll get it from the bar, which used a different machine that I couldn't identify.

858

#15: Post by 858 »


Looks like the new Gelati & Peccati (Buona Forchetta) in Encinitas is getting an Athena Leva also.

Bebopbird (original poster)

#16: Post by Bebopbird (original poster) »

Gorgeous! Wonder if the shots are any good. Worth it just to see one working in commercial setting though.