Bad smell when opening frozen coffee bag - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
mixespresso (original poster)

#11: Post by mixespresso (original poster) »

jpender wrote:One coffee bag valve manufacturer I've seen lists the operating temperature range as down to 10°C (50°F). Another possibility is that the compostable bag material your bag is made out of provides a poor oxygen barrier.

When I freeze unopened bags I tape the valve and also stick the bag in a ziplock. Then I either put a rubber band around it or wedge it in between other items in the freezer. Ziplock bags are not really airtight but they restrict airflow. Combined with the bag I find it does a good job.

I've measured moisture content of beans stored in an opened bag rolled up inside a compressed ziplock and it stayed constant after months. Opened bags with just a rubber band around them (no ziplock) gained moisture in the freezer.
That all makes sense. Thanks

Next time i will put it inside a ziplock + taping the valve.

chanty 77

#12: Post by chanty 77 »

jpender wrote:One coffee bag valve manufacturer I've seen lists the operating temperature range as down to 10°C (50°F). Another possibility is that the compostable bag material your bag is made out of provides a poor oxygen barrier.

When I freeze unopened bags I tape the valve and also stick the bag in a ziplock. Then I either put a rubber band around it or wedge it in between other items in the freezer. Ziplock bags are not really airtight but they restrict airflow. Combined with the bag I find it does a good job.

I've measured moisture content of beans stored in an opened bag rolled up inside a compressed ziplock and it stayed constant after months. Opened bags with just a rubber band around them (no ziplock) gained moisture in the freezer.
John,
Now that I've been ordering three 12oz. bags of beans at one time--the 3rd bag doesn't get opened until at least day 24 post roast. Like I mentioned in a past post--haven't really noticed a flavor dip in the last bag I open--just it running faster no matter how many grams I put in/no matter how fine. Wondering if I try this---putting the 3rd bag (that I know I won't open until at least 24 day post roast) in the freezer--taping the valve & putting it in a freezer ziplock bag, if that might help the issues I'm having.

jpender

#13: Post by jpender »

I thought you didn't freeze coffee?

Anyway, the answer is yes, it should make a huge difference. It's a common thing to have to grind finer as coffee ages. I keep almost all of my coffee in the freezer and I either don't see that effect at all or it's a very small, subtle change.

chanty 77

#14: Post by chanty 77 replying to jpender »

I was gonna say, you know I don't freeze coffee for my own reasons.....but...... I just started ordering for the sake of saving on shipping three 12oz. bags at one time. The first & second bag, no issues in any way, third bag no flavor issues, just the fast running no matter what grind/grams. How long do you let "thaw" before putting in grinder? Thanx

jpender

#15: Post by jpender »

I grind straight out of the freezer. I keep the individual portions to 250g.

But if I were to thaw I would just wait until a thermometer stuck between an oven mitt and the bag measured higher than the dew point.

chanty 77

#16: Post by chanty 77 replying to jpender »

Thanks

tompoland

#17: Post by tompoland »

I grind immediately while still frozen. IMHO the viscosity is thinner and flavor is flatter if you let the beans thaw. There are over 1,000 compounds in a bean and the thawing process and my guess is that it defrosting is a catalyst for reactions. Others agree, still others are fine with defrosted beans. Test and taste.
chanty 77 wrote:I was gonna say, you know I don't freeze coffee for my own reasons.....but...... I just started ordering for the sake of saving on shipping three 12oz. bags at one time. The first & second bag, no issues in any way, third bag no flavor issues, just the fast running no matter what grind/grams. How long do you let "thaw" before putting in grinder? Thanx
A little obsessed.

chanty 77

#18: Post by chanty 77 »

jpender wrote:I grind straight out of the freezer. I keep the individual portions to 250g.

But if I were to thaw I would just wait until a thermometer stuck between an oven mitt and the bag measured higher than the dew point.
I planned on testing it this way. When I am ready to use the 3rd unopened bag (frozen with tape over the valve & in a freezer ziplock bag), I will let thaw & not refreeze the 12 oz. bag. It will have been frozen at 10 day post roast, and I will go through the 12oz. in about 7-9 days.

#19: Post by mixespresso (original poster) »

tompoland wrote:I grind immediately while still frozen. IMHO the viscosity is thinner and flavor is flatter if you let the beans thaw. There are over 1,000 compounds in a bean and the thawing process and my guess is that it defrosting is a catalyst for reactions. Others agree, still others are fine with defrosted beans. Test and taste.
Have you noticed a big difference in the grinder settings between grinding from frozen or not?

#20: Post by mixespresso (original poster) »

Once the bag has been opened and assuming it has a zipper top, do you then get rid of the tape so you can expel the air after each use? Or does not really matter because it goes inside another Ziploc bag?

I normally get 250g bags from roasters that they either have a zipper top, or I have to tie them after rolling them up