Black and White Roasters - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
jasonmolinari

#11: Post by jasonmolinari »

I've gone through about 8 oz of The Natural and 4 oz of the Classic and this has worked well for me (so far):

The natural
16g in, 38-40g out in about 25-30seconds. 201F.
Really nice berry and floral flavors. Has some acidity without being sour.
Using line pressure preinfusion until first drop made a less tasty shot. Different and to me less tasty.

The classic
16g in 40g out in about 30 seconds, 201F (haven't played with parameters yet really)
AMAZINGLY smooth. This is like drinking liquid velvet. Very "standard" profile of chocolate caramel nuts, so i can't get over how smooth it is.
Using line pressure preinfusion to 1st drops is equally tasty but different. It brings out a super intense sweetness up front .

marlodmb

#12: Post by marlodmb »

The classic is now my go to now for iced drinks.. was cafe lusso GMC.

The natural is definitely berry! I tried it cold but havent tried it hot which I need to as I find it too much berry for iced cold. I'm a huge fan of chocolate type beans so this one is far from my normal. Its not bad. But think all I need in my life right now is the classic :lol:

Advertisement
5280grindz

#13: Post by 5280grindz »

2lbs of classic and 12oz of the original arrived today. Letting it rest 7 days before I do anything with it (5600' asl)

FYI Jenny @ BfW said the pull all 3 (classic, natural, original) @ 203F.

IMAWriter

#14: Post by IMAWriter »

I really loved The Natural as a Kalita pour-over. Hot rinse the filter!! I ground it slightly finer than in my Behmor Brazen. 18 grams, 275 ml total liquid. Slow pour. Let cool to 145 or slightly less. No 1/2 &1/2 unless you want one of the nicest after dinner beverages you've had in a while!
I'm going for the Original 2#s, The Natural 2#s, and maybe a SO. SWEET is a fine description. The Classic was sugar sweet. (IMO)

Balthazar_B

#15: Post by Balthazar_B »

jasonmolinari wrote:I've gone through about 8 oz of The Natural and 4 oz of the Classic and this has worked well for me (so far):

The natural
16g in, 38-40g out in about 25-30seconds. 201F.
Really nice berry and floral flavors. Has some acidity without being sour.
Using line pressure preinfusion until first drop made a less tasty shot. Different and to me less tasty.

The classic
16g in 40g out in about 30 seconds, 201F (haven't played with parameters yet really)
AMAZINGLY smooth. This is like drinking liquid velvet. Very "standard" profile of chocolate caramel nuts, so i can't get over how smooth it is.
Using line pressure preinfusion to 1st drops is equally tasty but different. It brings out a super intense sweetness up front .
So just to confirm, your first lever shots on both coffees were without any preinfusion at all?
- John

LMWDP # 577

Iowa_Boy

#16: Post by Iowa_Boy »

Has anyone tried the Happy Birthday Anaerobic coffee? So curious to try it as it sounds pretty unique.

3cordcreations

#17: Post by 3cordcreations replying to Iowa_Boy »

I bought the El Eden Java and normally really enjoy this type of coffee but so far my wife and I agree that it hasn't tasted great. I don't know if it's because the roast is a little more developed than we normally buy, but I'm not getting the tasting notes at all that they mention. From those notes you would expect of sweet, fruity taste. I am using a 16:1 ratio and trying 200 degrees with med fine grind. Also, this seems to drain fast and not hold the water like most v60 brews I do. I may go another click finer on my c40 nitro hand grinder and maybe a 15.5:1 ratio.
I sent an email asking about brewing temp suggestion but haven't heard back.
A three cord strand is not easily broken...

Advertisement
Ejquin

#18: Post by Ejquin »

I had similar issues with the java. I thought the flavor was OK, but admittedly I haven't had many java varietals. That said it was super gassy, and the bloom, even 10 + days after roast was really high. It made it tough to brew, and it brewed super quick, but if I went finer to try and lengthen the brew time I got a lot of bitterness.

3cordcreations

#19: Post by 3cordcreations replying to Ejquin »

Wow, sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing. Did you try different brew temps? I thought about a lower one. This is disappointing given the price and description of it. I don't think I will get another java.
I'm going to let it rest longer. It's at 8 days post roast now but as you said it's vey gassy.
A three cord strand is not easily broken...

grover

#20: Post by grover »

So is The Classic more of a Chocolate nutty blend? I am trying to decide between the Original or Classic.