Dragonfly Crema Dolce discussion - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
HotLava (original poster)

#11: Post by HotLava (original poster) »

Today I dosed per roasters recommendations. Pulled a little longer 21/39 in 36 seconds. By upping the dose there was more flavor. It's not quite dialed in yet. It was not as balanced and a little sour but still passable. But at least I can taste where to go with it. I plan to coarsen the grind and decrease the time to 30-32 seconds.

I got a little too much lemon on the initial sip today followed by nutty and mild cinnamon again.

My wife enjoys the Americano's I make her and it works well as a latte. She prefer a the Lusso RFB.
Joe

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by JohnB. »

Tried an Americano this morning with the C/D. It was ok but I definitely prefer it as a straight shot.
LMWDP 267

Advertisement
tv79

#13: Post by tv79 »

TangyWasabi wrote:I bought a bag recently too and am also fairly disappointed with it as espresso, I actually enjoy it much more as filter.
Tried it as filter this morning and was also quite pleased. Bummed it didn't work out as espresso, but at least it will still get used.

[creative nickname]

#14: Post by [creative nickname] »

This has been my go-to of late for times when I'm too busy/lazy to do a separate roast for espresso, but want something darker than my filter roasts. My standard approach is as follows (using an EG-1 and a Pro 800):

1. Boiler set to 248F (giving a group head temp of 192F).
2. 17g of coffee, straight out of freezer, moderate fineness.
3. 10s boiler-pressure chamber filling (less than 1 bar), then 10s of preinfusion with lever lifted a bit past the catch point (about 3 bar).
4. Release lever for full pressure phase, maybe 25-35 more seconds to extract 34-36g of espresso.

The resulting shots have an intense aroma, very much like vanilla creme brûlée after the crust has been broken. Sipping brings out rich dark chocolate and brandy-soaked cherries, with deep body and a lingering, bittersweet aftertaste. For me it is a very user friendly blend with quite consistent, rich tasting shots.
LMWDP #435

Jeff
Team HB

#15: Post by Jeff »

Is "192F" cool, normal, or warm for you?

I've been trying to dial this in and haven't found much more than roasty flavors in it, so far.

[creative nickname]

#16: Post by [creative nickname] »

It is on the high side. For my own medium roast blends I would often run the boiler at 246F; for brewing a light filter roast of a washed coffee I might go as high as 250F.
LMWDP #435

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by JohnB. »

[creative nickname] wrote:
The resulting shots have an intense aroma, very much like vanilla creme brûlée after the crust has been broken. Sipping brings out rich dark chocolate and brandy-soaked cherries, with deep body and a lingering, bittersweet aftertaste. For me it is a very user friendly blend with quite consistent, rich tasting shots.

I get the cinnamon, caramel & nut Dragonfly mentions on their site but in 4 5 lb bags I've never gotten anything remotely close to that flavor description. I'll have to try bumping the temp way up tomorrow & see what happens.
LMWDP 267

Advertisement
[creative nickname]

#18: Post by [creative nickname] »

I cannot ever recall tasting cinnamon from the blend, fwiw!
LMWDP #435

Jeff
Team HB

#19: Post by Jeff »

Some seemingly good notes from a year ago at Et tu Crema Dulce?

HotLava (original poster)

#20: Post by HotLava (original poster) replying to Jeff »

I would agree with the other threads observations. There tends to be a lemon rind flavor which mellows at higher temps. I'm pulling at 199 and 200 degrees. This takes it away. Yesterday my initial sip had a hint of Lemmon zest with mild muted bitterness. I get the cinnamon hazelnut albeit subdued. I started upping the dose to 21 g and it is a lot less bland.

I could see the prior Snickers bar description as it has a nutty flavor for sure. Not getting anything as flavorful as brandy soaked cherries. Maybe it needs a long pre infusion.
Joe