Dragonfly's Crema Dolce brew recommendations

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Jebez
Supporter

#1: Post by Jebez »

Greetings friends,
I recently purchased a bag of Crema Dolce and find it fairly forgiving for making Cappuccinos, but haven't produced anything noteworthy yet.
I use 18 grams in, approximately 33 grams out, over 24 - 30 seconds on a Breville Dual Boiler, using standard pre-infusion, at 198 degrees.
Any guidelines are greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Lots of impressions and approaches at Favorite Espressos 2020 (Coffee "B" there)

Jebez (original poster)
Supporter

#3: Post by Jebez (original poster) replying to Jeff »

Thank you Jeff for the link.

gobucks

#4: Post by gobucks »

i prefer to run it a little hotter, around 200F. My typical target is 15g in, ~32g out at 200F in around 30s including 7s pressure preinfusion. I prefer smaller doses (more coffees!) but 15 was as low as I could go on this one without channeling.

I did get a fair amount of shot speed variance, even with careful puck prep and the same grinder setting, I'd sometimes get a ristretto one time and a fast normale the next.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

I've been going through a 5 lb bag & find that it does best up around 203°. It's ok at 200° but the higher temp brings out a nice spiciness that brings the flavor close to the Crema Dolce of 3-4 years ago when it was at it's peak.
LMWDP 267

Jebez (original poster)
Supporter

#6: Post by Jebez (original poster) »

gobucks wrote:i prefer to run it a little hotter, around 200F. My typical target is 15g in, ~32g out at 200F in around 30s including 7s pressure preinfusion. I prefer smaller doses (more coffees!) but 15 was as low as I could go on this one without channeling.

I did get a fair amount of shot speed variance, even with careful puck prep and the same grinder setting, I'd sometimes get a ristretto one time and a fast normale the next.

Thank you gobucks. I'm going to increase the temperature on my next shot.

Jebez (original poster)
Supporter

#7: Post by Jebez (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:I've been going through a 5 lb bag & find that it does best up around 203°. It's ok at 200° but the higher temp brings out a nice spiciness that brings the flavor close to the Crema Dolce of 3-4 years ago when it was at it's peak.
Thank you JohnB. I'm going to raise the temp to 203°, and see how that works out.
Do you have a preference for the amount of time you wait post roast for optimal flavor?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JohnB. replying to Jebez »

7 days worked for me which is pretty typical for medium roast espresso blends.
LMWDP 267

Jebez (original poster)
Supporter

#9: Post by Jebez (original poster) replying to JohnB. »

Thank you again JohnB. Cheers!

gobucks

#10: Post by gobucks »

JohnB. wrote:I've been going through a 5 lb bag & find that it does best up around 203°. It's ok at 200° but the higher temp brings out a nice spiciness that brings the flavor close to the Crema Dolce of 3-4 years ago when it was at it's peak.
That's interesting, I tried a few shots at 202-203 but found them pretty harsh, even with milk. Could be batch differences, or slightly different settings on our machines, or just personal preference.