Kenya Mamuto AA

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by ShotClock »

I just received an order from George Howell, and one of the coffees was the SL28 Mamuto AA:

Link here

Maybe this is because I've never had a really good Kenyan before, but this coffee is incredible! Fantastically sweet, berries and spice cookies in the aeropress that I'm drinking. The finish is long and sweet, with a balance of blackberry/blueberry flavors, and pastry note complexity. As it cools, I get more of an apple note, and a smooth and slightly creamy mouthfeel.

It looks like they still have some in stock from Monday's roast, I can't recommend it enough.

For reference (mostly mo own later):
Aeropress; 17g/272g; Prismo+paper; 209F; Niche setting 35 (about halfway between V60 and espresso settings).

SteveRhinehart

#2: Post by SteveRhinehart »

It is a stellar coffee. I purchased earlier this month and am nearly through my bag. Aside from a few misfires on espresso it's been phenomenal. My filter brews have been such a delight and it's also an amazing coffee to flash chill to enjoy iced. Highly recommended.

Acavia

#3: Post by Acavia »

I had it in November. Looking over my notes, I recall cherry candy notes and one time I described it as a bubble gum sweetness followed by cherry slurpee (shaved ice drinks served at convenience stores) sweetness.

atao
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by atao »

How did you get this coffee? I've tried a few times to pull up the GH website on the day that you're supposed to be able to order it, and it always seems to say that there's no availability.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#5: Post by jbviau replying to atao »

"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Acavia

#6: Post by Acavia »

atao wrote:How did you get this coffee? I've tried a few times to pull up the GH website on the day that you're supposed to be able to order it, and it always seems to say that there's no availability.
You can subscribe to its newsletter and announcements. I got an email. One time, on another coffee, I put coffee in my cart as soon as it opened. Read about it for a few minutes then could not finish order because it was gone.

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

Monday's roast is on the order list today (Friday)

HRace

#8: Post by HRace »

Thanks for the tip on the availability. I had been wanting to try his coffee sometime and this was a great 1st experience with it. I agree with many of the tasting notes above. The taste and finish are so good. Lasting sweetness with no roast flavors. Pour over and drip for me. Both awesome. Thanks again. Glad I was able to experience this.

HRace

#9: Post by HRace »

Home-Barista'ers: Any advice on how to order more easily (or at all) from George Howell?

Past 3 months (2 successful orders): I've had to enter all my information twice for the order to be processed.

Yesterday and Today: I couldn't checkout. All info entered for a limited Kenyan and the checkout button won't work. Mobile, computer, no difference.

I've been trying to check out as a guest since their website wants to store a credit card if you register and I'd prefer not to. The whole website seems 15 years old (no simple checkout, storing your credit card, takes forever, won't work today, even on roasts that aren't limited). If I didn't really like the coffee, I'd just completely skip them.

I'd appreciate any tips! I hope I'm just doing something wrong. Thanks.

Jeff
Team HB

#10: Post by Jeff »

Some discussion at George Howell Website Issue