Latte art fail - Heart shape

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
vishalv7

#1: Post by vishalv7 »

Hi,

I am trying to learn latte art from last one month. I started with basic heart shape, whenever i pour milk it a shape doesn't come well. Attaching few pictures if anyone please guide me to understand what mistake i am doing and how to correct those mistake.

Thanks in advance.

MNate

#2: Post by MNate »

Not raising the pitcher up enough on the cut through and/or running out of milk? Far from an expert. The trail of your cut throughs seem to be dribbling foam instead of really cutting through.

I found Lance Hedrick's videos online to be the best. I even just started over learning his way despite being fine at it for several years because I think some of my habits were wrong.

Sometimes it just comes after long enough- incremental improvements!

espressotime

#3: Post by espressotime »

The way I do it.

exidrion

#4: Post by exidrion »

espressotime wrote:The way I do it.

video
Do you know what's amazing about this video? Pretty much the antithesis of modern day prep advice :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

straight in the basket, tamped willy nilly, no rdt no wdt no distribution and it still probably tasted pretty good! Granted it was covered in milk but still hahaha.

chipman

#5: Post by chipman »

It's like new math. it isn't important getting the correct answer.(good shot) it's knowing how to do it.

espressotime

#6: Post by espressotime »

exidrion wrote:Do you know what's amazing about this video? Pretty much the antithesis of modern day prep advice :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

straight in the basket, tamped willy nilly, no rdt no wdt no distribution and it still probably tasted pretty good! Granted it was covered in milk but still hahaha.
I tried all of that more than once. No difference to me. But like you said I always add milk.Cortados are what I drink 99% of the time.

matkuf22

#7: Post by matkuf22 »

Steaming milk better helped my latte art more than anything else. Keeping the pitcher in the freezer helped me with steaming the milk better.

:)

Flannelsec

#8: Post by Flannelsec replying to matkuf22 »

This. It also looks like you may need to tilt the cup more while you are pouring to make sure that the latte is filling more of the cup. Also, like the first post said, make sure you are lifting more as you pull through to get the better shape of the heart.