Wendelboe coffee has not been good to me the last five or so that I have had

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Acavia

#1: Post by Acavia »

Little to no sweetness. A similar bitter/bland taste that seems like a roast taste to me in all of them. Various Wendelboe coffees from end of 2021 and two recent ones, all had tastes like that. Looking back, perhaps all my Wendeloe over years have been similar.

I usually get a lot of sweetness in coffee, whether going for high extraction or average/low extraction. Passenger, Sey, other European roasters like Coffee Collective, even more mainstream like Verve have sweetness. Wendelboe seems about same as Counter Culture to me.

Also, people talk about Wendelboe being light roasted. Based on its color, and what seems a roast taste to me, I would put them as medium to medium light maybe. I think they are a tad darker overall than Passenger and noticeable darker than Sey. Basically, Wendelboe roast degree seems same as most other specialty coffees.

Anyone else find this to be the case?

Ejquin

#2: Post by Ejquin »

I have a subscription so I get one bag every month (though I just changed to 2x bags per month). I haven't had the same experience. I really like almost all his coffees. I find them to be sweet. I do agree that people often lump TW into the group with extremely light roasts but in general the roasts are darker than many of what people consider to be "nordic." Are you drinking a lot of natural or other more "innovative" processed coffees? TWs coffees are almost all washed coffees so they aren't going to give you crazy funky in your face flavors. But, in general, I find them to be sweet fruity and often floral.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by PIXIllate »

I've just finished my first two months of TW coffees (3 bag Espresso per month). I've greatly enjoyed them all except the Ethiopian from last month and that's just a preference thing. The Mexican I opened this morning was spot on with big, sweet strawberries and cocoa. I'll definitely be continuing to mix this with regular ordering from Hatch.

malling

#4: Post by malling »

Acavia wrote:Little to no sweetness. A similar bitter/bland taste that seems like a roast taste to me in all of them. Various Wendelboe coffees from end of 2021 and two recent ones, all had tastes like that. Looking back, perhaps all my Wendeloe over years have been similar.

I usually get a lot of sweetness in coffee, whether going for high extraction or average/low extraction. Passenger, Sey, other European roasters like Coffee Collective, even more mainstream like Verve have sweetness. Wendelboe seems about same as Counter Culture to me.

Also, people talk about Wendelboe being light roasted. Based on its color, and what seems a roast taste to me, I would put them as medium to medium light maybe. I think they are a tad darker overall than Passenger and noticeable darker than Sey. Basically, Wendelboe roast degree seems same as most other specialty coffees.

Anyone else find this to be the case?
Without using Agtron and using the right equipment it's really just bad practice determining the roast by colour, the light we have will make it jump all over the map, so unless you have the right light it's not really reliable way, then you need to look at other physical attributes like, silverskin in the crevices, texture of the bean etc. to better determine it. People generally don't have agtron devices in a drawer so the usefulness is really debatable when talking colour in regards to roast degree.

Also the term nordic/Scandinavian just has to die, I literally mean it, it's completely and utterly meaningless as there is no such thing, every roaster has their philosophy and hardly any just roast very light many roast just as often to what would be often coined medium light and goes for every single roaster in Scandinavian roasting in the lighter end, some even offer some medium roasted for the crowds as that is actually what the vast majority of Scandinavian prefer!

Of probably more then the 100 micro roasters in my country only a couple of handful probably roast light the rest are more medium to dark.

Also I'm happy Scandinavian roasters haven't jumped on the bandwagon of exotic processing, because a lot of it is really just bad and taste mostly of the processing method more then the coffee. When a Scandinavian roaster choose one is typically one that doesn't.

Acavia (original poster)

#5: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

Ejquin wrote: I do agree that people often lump TW into the group with extremely light roasts but in general the roasts are darker than many of what people consider to be "nordic." Are you drinking a lot of natural or other more "innovative" processed coffees? TWs coffees are almost all washed coffees so they aren't going to give you crazy funky in your face flavors. But, in general, I find them to be sweet fruity and often floral.
I shy away from natural processed, although I had a good one in a Sey subscription recently. I do not like off tastes as natural can have. I get sweetness in other coffees but recent Wendelboe coffees have been void of it and al had a bitter roast taste to them.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by PIXIllate »

All of the Tim Wendelboe I have measured with my Roast Vision have been in the 25-28 range. So medium light to light.

User avatar
yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

I wonder if your water composition is working against you with this coffee.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

walr00s
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by walr00s »

Ordered twice, once for each shipping option. The one from the Nordic post or whatever took 3 weeks and I assume was probably kept at outdoor conditions in the heat of the summer, tasted mostly like nothing. The one from UPS took about a week and it was decent...nothing crazy, the coffee didn't end up that berry forward the way the flavor notes and origin indicated. Happens to me quite often.

Pretty sure competently roasted coffee is competently roasted coffee. Having Wendelboe as the brand name isn't any sort of magic. There's other people who know how to do what he's doing and you could become one of them. He's pretty up front in his videos about his methodology.

Acavia (original poster)

#9: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

yakster wrote:I wonder if your water composition is working against you with this coffee.
I used a low alkalinity water, around 15Kh, and moderate low Gh at 50. Based on Oslo water and post here, Wendelboe uses around 30 Kh and 40 Gh. So not off too dramatically and I would think it would make my brews more bright not less as they are. I will try Third Wave Water, going opposite direction, but last time I used TWW on Wendelboe, it was opposite, rich, chocolatey sweet.

User avatar
yakster
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by yakster »

Hmm, sounds like you already thought of that.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272