What is a good, well rounded starter coffee

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
MarcDencker

#1: Post by MarcDencker »

I just got a linea mini and a niche and we went through a few coffees but wanted to get something that is commonly available, not expensive so I tune my grinding/coffee making skills.

not expensive is in the list as sometimes I make 3-4 shots in a row to just taste what I did different.

the coffee we typically drink is macchiato, espresso or cortado ( I use half and half, she uses whole milk for the foam)
we dont like the very dark roasts

I like citrus and caramel flavors
the last coffee we tried "a local organic coffee" seemed a bit oily in the grinder
prior to the local we got Lavazza Caffé Espresso 100% Premium Arabica Coffee from costco and "it seemed ok but not good"

If I end up sticking to the Lavazza for the beginning that wouldnt be the worst but figured to ask the experts here.
we live in boston in case that matters

mbbrew

#2: Post by mbbrew »

Any of the Black and White espresso focused coffees, probably The Traditional if you like darker roasts. Even their single origin medium-lights I find super forgiving compared to others at a comparable roast level on espresso.

Ypuh

#3: Post by Ypuh »

Yellow bourbon from a respectable roaster.
I don't want a Decent

nameisjoey

#4: Post by nameisjoey »

Black and White Roasters The Classic

cafeIKE

#5: Post by cafeIKE »

People, how about recommendations close to Boston?

I don't order east coast coffees and don't recommend great west coast coffees to Least Coasters due to shipping vagaries.

pham

#6: Post by pham »

Stumptown hairbender is an medium espresso blend that has citrus and chocolate notes so that's probably down your alley

nameisjoey

#7: Post by nameisjoey »

cafeIKE wrote:People, how about recommendations close to Boston?

I don't order east coast coffees and don't recommend great west coast coffees to Least Coasters due to shipping vagaries.
Lots of roasters offer free shipping, for instance my recommendation offers free shipping on orders above $25.

cafeIKE

#8: Post by cafeIKE »

It's not the DoReMi - it's the T I M E.

I once had a Counter Culture order take three weeks instead of three days. Two weeks for another Least Coast roaster.
Ordering from Best Coast roasters, orders usually arrive a couple of days after roasting. A week tops @ Christmas.

nameisjoey

#9: Post by nameisjoey replying to cafeIKE »

I've never had any thing from B&W (east coast) take longer than a week to get to me (west coast) and they ship out the day they are roasted. I personally don't like breaking into a bag until the 7 day mark, so for me it's perfect.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by mgwolf »

I would look at La Colombe which is available on the East Coast. Their Nizza is a very nice medium roast comfort blend. Our local Whole Foods carries 4 month post roast Nizza, so I always order by mail to get fresh stuff. The coffee and shipping are both reasonable.