Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance - Page 86

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bringyoutomyhell

#851: Post by bringyoutomyhell »

luvmy40 wrote: Is that 1150 USD or Euros?
It's 990€ for the black truffle on mediaworld Italy, with 99€ you can extend the warranty. Amazon matched the price (also on other machines, like lelit Bianca or mara x). The refurbished price is from a german sage refurbisher you can easily find on eBay, 716€ for the like new, 665€ for the slightly used, and sometimes you can get as low as 550€ for more scratched ones. 12 months warranty on these. But there's something psychological blocking me, maybe that 1k threshold. I'll wait to see if I could find a cheaper refurbished one, so I can easily tinker myself inside. Or maybe I'll get a Decent or a Bianca instead. I like the BDB but I can still sense some kind of limitations which I can avoid by spending more

ryry

#852: Post by ryry »

Cross posting from the 5y thread as this one seems more active - I hope this isn't against the rules.

I'm not sure if I have a new leak issue or not - I've read a lot of this thread but not every slide. This is a BES920XL that is about 1y old purchased in Canada. I used filtered tap water for a month or two and then switched to 4L jugs of distilled water with 0.35g of potassium bicarb. Noticed the probe had some small grains of scale on it.

I have a leak that appears to be coming from within the probe, specifically between the ceramic piece (white) and the metal rod. As far as I can see, this is not disassemblable to replace the seal and the leak is not coming from the blue o-ring.

Has anyone else encountered this and come up with a good solution other than ordering & replacing the entire probe? If that's the only solution, where do I find replacement probes?

Thank you,
Ryan

ryry

#853: Post by ryry »

Some good info back in this post: Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on However, I'm finding something different. There's definitely an o-ring in my probe. I'm not sure of the material so am not sure if I should be using silicone grease on it.

ryry

#854: Post by ryry »

As an update, I lubed the silicone to ceramic and o-ring to metal interfaces with some silicone grease on all 3 probes and it seals again for now. I'm not sure of the material of the o-ring but if it's silicone I don't know how long to expect the repair to last due to the general material incompatibility. If it leaks again I'll see if I can order replacement parts from Breville.

Alloftheabove

#855: Post by Alloftheabove »

I crammed some silicone 5mm x 2mm x 1.5mm o-rings in there. They were way tighter than the original ones. No leak now. I posted about it back at #802.

azlevy

#856: Post by azlevy »

Need help on my BDB.

It started purging water randomly a few minutes after I turn it on, and it purges for some 5-10 minutes.

I opened it up and it appears to be coming from the steam boiler? Not sure yet...

Also there's a tube that has a lot of oil on the outside... Any ideas?
From the outside:
https://streamable.com/f9hfsv

From the inside:
https://streamable.com/058163

Oil in tubes:
https://ibb.co/z8d1d11
https://ibb.co/bBhNDKw

luvmy40

#857: Post by luvmy40 »

Is the pump running when it's "purging"?

What, if any error codes do you see?

azlevy

#858: Post by azlevy »

I hear a noise ( you should be able to hear it on the video), but I don't see any error codes

nmgeek

#859: Post by nmgeek »

Is there a definitive maintenance troubleshooting guide for the dual boiler machines? I had looked at the pinned(?) guide for this thread to diagnose a "no water flow" problem but could not find a statement that this is caused by a failed solenoid (open circuit in coil). As I recall the text talked about fixing the noise caused by a failing solenoid but didn't say the symptom of a complete failure.

I finally got the answer in the third solenoid replacement video I found on YouTube. Even that guy indicated that the manual hot water valve would fail at the same time which is incorrect.

rubixcube101

#860: Post by rubixcube101 »

I also just came across this issue with a BDB that is less than one year old. Leaking from above the probe. Look for a fix too :(
ryry wrote:Cross posting from the 5y thread as this one seems more active - I hope this isn't against the rules.

I'm not sure if I have a new leak issue or not - I've read a lot of this thread but not every slide. This is a BES920XL that is about 1y old purchased in Canada. I used filtered tap water for a month or two and then switched to 4L jugs of distilled water with 0.35g of potassium bicarb. Noticed the probe had some small grains of scale on it.

I have a leak that appears to be coming from within the probe, specifically between the ceramic piece (white) and the metal rod. As far as I can see, this is not disassemblable to replace the seal and the leak is not coming from the blue o-ring.

Has anyone else encountered this and come up with a good solution other than ordering & replacing the entire probe? If that's the only solution, where do I find replacement probes?

video

Thank you,
Ryan