Decent Espresso v1.1 shipping! - Page 6

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
HB
Admin

#51: Post by HB »

veshio wrote:No, it is ugly and cheap looking.
veshio wrote:Do you spend all day patrolling this thread defending your purchase ? :lol:
Another member (guydebord) made this same point a few posts up and in pretty much the same manner. Please refer to the Guidelines for productive online discussion, especially the admonishments Be respectful and Encourage positive, shared discourse. This thread is closed for awhile as it seems to be a magnet for non-owners to criticize the judgement of owners.
Davidm wrote:We are going to prefer our choice, but I would never bash someone else's.
Exactly!
Dan Kehn

kc2hje

#52: Post by kc2hje »

As a long term watcher (I was debating on croundfunding the ZPM prior to buying the Silvia)

Im happy that Decent got theses machines out and welcome yet another option for when im ready to upgrade the espresso machine, competition in any industry is a good thing.

With that said I do agree that its disappointing that the 1K machine fell of the road map much like tesla's 35K car

Also looking forward to all the good reads and learning that will come from these.

Chris Herbert

Advertisement
blondica73
Supporter ❤

#53: Post by blondica73 replying to kc2hje »

You could get a kit from https://www.softwareandcircuits.com/div ... index.html in the EU if you have family/friends in the EU. It is an "Ito" board that can be installed on a Rancilio Silvia and get pressure profiling and all other good stuff. It's about $200. I installed the kit in my Spaziale Mini Vivaldi and I am very happy with it. Pressure profiling upgrade for my machine for only $200, I'd say that's a good deal.

mdreuben
Supporter ❤

#54: Post by mdreuben »

kc2hje wrote:As a long term watcher (I was debating on croundfunding the ZPM prior to buying the Silvia)

Im happy that Decent got theses machines out and welcome yet another option for when im ready to upgrade the espresso machine, competition in any industry is a good thing.

With that said I do agree that its disappointing that the 1K machine fell of the road map much like tesla's 35K car

Also looking forward to all the good reads and learning that will come from these.

Chris Herbert
No matter the price, I consider this machine a bargain. It's enabled me to learn more about espresso in the past week than in the past twelve years of my hobby ("obsession?").

JayBeck

#55: Post by JayBeck replying to mdreuben »

No kidding! The amount of information and in dept understanding about preinfusion, flow profiling, pressure profiling, temperature, etc is just unbelievable.

Cnthinkoname

#56: Post by Cnthinkoname replying to JayBeck »

Agreed. Pulled 20 shots with the same coffee playing with all of the variables, and was underwhelmed. Decided to try something different and did Rao's blooming shot, and was amazed at the night and day difference. So many possibilities.

eltakeiteasy

#57: Post by eltakeiteasy »

I really want to try out one of these machines before adding another to my line up. Does anyone in SoCal have one that they would be willing to let me partake?
LMWDP #672.

Advertisement
Donguanella

#58: Post by Donguanella »

I have one shipping out to me today! Once it arrives I'd be happy to share. Part of why I ordered is because I was having a hard time reading through the polarizing reviews.

eltakeiteasy

#59: Post by eltakeiteasy replying to Donguanella »

Hey, David! That would be awesome!
LMWDP #672.

pcrussell50

#60: Post by pcrussell50 »

Iowa_Boy wrote:Just curious - Can anyone who has received version 1.1 comment on puck dryness?
Interested to see how this has changed in v1.1. Thanks!
Fluffeepuff wrote:I'm also interested in if anyone has some comments on the puck (which I assume will always be a little soupy).
What does a soupy puck portend about shot quality? Does it harm taste in the cup? My intuition tells me it wouldn't harm a thing. Or is it mostly just an aesthetic irritant?

Going all the way back to page one of this thread, it's interesting that the group head heater is 100W, just like the group head heater in the Breville Dual Boiler. Ever since the BDB came out with that feature in 2011, I have wondered about the power of it, and whether there was any point or value in having one more powerful than 100W. I consider it encouraging that Decent also uses a 100W final heater. Makes me wonder in what other ways the water temp control algorithms are similar. If you were wanting say, 200degF brew temperature, what would the water temp be just before it hits the group heater? IOW, how many degF does the group heater add? Does the DE sensor suite tell us that? Or is that DE Pro territory?

-Peter
LMWDP #553