Decent Espresso v1.1 shipping!

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
rimblas

#1: Post by rimblas »

Exciting news for those waiting for their DE1PRO v1.1; they are shipping!
Given how fast previous machines have arrived, some will receive them tomorrow, others on Saturday.

Who's expecting one?

I think only 40 are going out now, but as I understand they should be steadily shipping every week (or two).

Ferrariandcoffee

#2: Post by Ferrariandcoffee »

What happened to their $800 lower model units?

JayBeck

#3: Post by JayBeck replying to Ferrariandcoffee »

Not possible to make a high quality espresso machine for $800 so they moved on from the original ZPM concept. They also cut out the $1999 version that wasn't going to be plumb-able. They start at $2499 and are worth every penny

arcus

#4: Post by arcus »

They are going with the Tesla approach. At some point this year, the DE1+ will ship again and that will be their entry level model with a price that may be $2,499.

rimblas (original poster)

#5: Post by rimblas (original poster) »

Ferrariandcoffee wrote:What happened to their $800 lower model units?
Hmm I didn't realize that was that ever an option.

Dmitry100

#6: Post by Dmitry100 »

Wouldn't a Arduino/RaspberryPi powered single boiler like a GC or Silvia with some decent pressure profiling code and pump/flow/pressure control sensors be able to go close to the features/capabilities of a DE1 machine?

Weird no one has take up on the task of selling a complete kit. Plus touchscreen. Obviously the demand appears to be there especially if it were at a good price.

rimblas (original poster)

#7: Post by rimblas (original poster) replying to Dmitry100 »

This remind me of something.

Step 1. Collect underpants.
Step 2. ?
Step 3. PROFIT

Have you seen this product:
https://www.naked-portafilter.com/smart ... -profiler/

Maybe that goes in the right direction. But that's only monitoring. Controlling is a whole different problem.

That said, the DE machines, from the ground up, have been designed with the need for sensors and control in mind. There are 9 temperature sensors (6 water, 3 metal) & 1 pressure sensor. Oh and temp sensor on the board and one for ambient temp.

So, maybe there's a way, but "good price" it won't be.

Edit: added correct number of temp sensors and flow diagram

Iowa_Boy

#8: Post by Iowa_Boy »

Curious for anyone with a 1.0 or 1.1 machine. Did you have to pay customs duty if you are in US? If so how much was it?

JayBeck

#9: Post by JayBeck replying to Iowa_Boy »

I paid no customs. Live in NC.

Denis

#10: Post by Denis »

There are product/kit that offer you similar control as DE but people have low interest in such things. Most people because they don't have the time or the curiosity prefer one well made complete product, instead of gambling money and making a machine out of pieces.

If you are interested in such a product search caffè!, leva! or ito on google.

Decent espresso is something that the coffee industry needs, something fresh, compact, simply to use, with control over every step of the brew/prebrew. It can be used by anyone, and the look is wonderful. When I see an E61 i just close my eyes, because I don't want to see it anymore.

DE is a machine that is good for someone that just want to press a button and make coffee (automatic mode) and at the same time is fantastic for an enthusiast that is passionate about espresso and wants to control/see every little detail. With the software updates this machine has a bright future, compared to a DB e61.