Lelit Bianca User Experience

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
another_jim
Team HB

#1: Post by another_jim »

This thread is for early adopters of the Lelit Bianca

It is also for all who want to comment or Q & A about the ongoing bench review
Jim Schulman

Tonefish

#2: Post by Tonefish »

Great to see something new in the bench (it's been a while) and what an intriguing machine to feature here too. Been wondering how those early adopters are doing. Cheers!
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

This is a quick interim report on temperature management, I still have a ton of data to crunch before I make a more complete entry in the bench review.

There are some oddities. The thermosyphon group runs about 10C lower than the brew boiler temperature. If you make a shot without a prior flush, the temperature will rise from the group temperature by about 3 degrees C. A 10 second heating flush (paddle full open) will get you a steady temperature about 4C below the brew boiler temperature. A 5 sec flush will get you a temperature about 6C below the brew boiler.

This is a fairly extreme version of double boiler "cold nose." The upside is that you can change temperatures on the fly, by changing the timing of the heating flush (the automatic shot timer makes this easy) The downside is that super precise temperature control will require a flush and wait routine. Dan and I will post the details for this as soon as we've got it figured out.
Jim Schulman

Beowulf

#4: Post by Beowulf »

Great timing, Jim! I placed the order this week and was just about to post a question here about a recomended flush routine.

Just a quick follow up for clarification - how much warm up time did the machine get before the above results? Thanks!

Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

This was with the machine well warmed up and in steady state. I'm working to see how it works steady state with different brew boiler settings. I'll look at warm up times later today.
Jim Schulman

DaveC

#6: Post by DaveC »

another_jim wrote:This is a quick interim report on temperature management, I still have a ton of data to crunch before I make a more complete entry in the bench review.

There are some oddities. The thermosyphon group runs about 10C lower than the brew boiler temperature. If you make a shot without a prior flush, the temperature will rise from the group temperature by about 3 degrees C. A 10 second heating flush (paddle full open) will get you a steady temperature about 4C below the brew boiler temperature. A 5 sec flush will get you a temperature about 6C below the brew boiler.

This is a fairly extreme version of double boiler "cold nose." The upside is that you can change temperatures on the fly, by changing the timing of the heating flush (the automatic shot timer makes this easy) The downside is that super precise temperature control will require a flush and wait routine. Dan and I will post the details for this as soon as we've got it figured out.
Not sure what's going on with your machine, the UK machine I tested was not like that at all. I also assume you are not talking about the normal 10C offset, but the displayed temp on the PID after the offset is accounted for?

Team HB

#7: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

Dan is not seeing any weirdness either. I' need to check all the Ps and Qs on the machine. The offset I'm mentioning is between the displayed brew boiler temp and the temperature reading of a TC mounted on the neck of the group.
Jim Schulman

HB
Admin

#8: Post by HB »

I've not touched any settings other than lowering the brew temperature 1°C to 94°C. I made the video below a few minutes ago. It's after a warmup flush and 90 seconds for recovery. The brew temperature tracks within 1°C, trending slightly upward. The prior "no flush" idle measurement finished around 2°C below the target temperature and was trending ever so slightly downward.
Dan Kehn

Team HB

#9: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

It appears that my PID is lazy; while everyone else's works fine (is there a "why me" emoji?). I was wondering why the machine was delivered set at 95C, and I had to set it up to 98C based on taste. So instead of a temperature study; you'll get a trouble shooting guide over the next few days. That's good for the review, a PITA for me.
Jim Schulman

solarium_rider

#10: Post by solarium_rider »

I'm curious what others are seeing for brew pressure out of the box. Mine seems a bit high, reporting a 11 bar at the head, and just slightly below that on the dual manometer. The 11 bar at the head trends downwards as the shot progresses. I'm wondering if I should adjust it to be lower. Here's a photo of it about halfway through the shot (the brew head pressure is bit closer to 10-1/4 bar at this point):