Lelit MaraX - Page 68

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
oksako

#671: Post by oksako »

DaveC wrote:It's all in my review for the V1 machine, wait times between shots, temperatures...etc..Including steaming advice. If using it in the new V2 modes, as long as your set in steam boost, that's basically similar to the old non HX mode. In fact the V2 software was my idea, to loose HX completely and concentrate on espresso only and a slightly improved steam boost mode.

https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpres ... -progress/
Awesome thank you!

Lets go

#672: Post by Lets go »

Hi!

I adjusted the pressure down to 9 bar. It was well over 10 bar on my machine. Super simple thing to do. Hopefully this will mean less spritzies even though most of those are probably the result of lousy prep and a crappy grinder.

One question though. The pressure ramp up seems to be much shorter after the opv adjustment. Previously it ramped up to full pressure in about 10 seconds. That's probably been halved since the adjustment. Why is that? Is there a way to keep the slower ramp up and 9 bars of pressure when at full chat?

Advertisement
chlorophyll

#673: Post by chlorophyll »

Hello, new user here.

I am considering buying a 220V MaraX and using it in Canada at 110V (because of V2 availability and much lower price in Europe).

Should I expect any issues running it from an adapter like https://www.amazon.ca/SEYAS-Transformer ... B099MSP9XC ? Should I avoid doing this because of other reasons, such as a substantial number of internal parts being different and hard to service in Canada?

Thank you!

Jeff
Team HB

#674: Post by Jeff »

In general, those transformers are wildly optimistic in their power ratings. I have seen apparently the same unit shipped with 1000, 1500, and 2000 labels on it. From what I can tell, it is a 500 W transformer in the box. None at this price range have any safety certification. There are clear problems with wiring gauge and solder-joint quality with ones I've seen.

I worry running a 660 W machine off a "1000 W" transformer.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#675: Post by baldheadracing »

chlorophyll wrote:Should I expect any issues running it from an adapter like https://www.amazon.ca/SEYAS-Transformer ... B099MSP9XC ? Should I avoid doing this because of other reasons, such as a substantial number of internal parts being different and hard to service in Canada?
Yes, I suspect that you'll have smoke and/or an electrical fire.

I went by weight and transformer type for my rarely-used 800W machine.

For type, a regular transformer weighs much more than the equivalent toroid transformer, isn't as efficient, has more EMI, and is louder. On the plus side, a regular transfomer costs less than a toroid and has a lower inrush (starting) current.

For weight, in the fine print, my '3000W' toroid transformer power supply says 1200W in continuous use. The whole thing weighs 17.5lbs. For comparison, a toroid transformer - just the transformer - from a known-good manufacturer, Hammond, weighs 23.2lb for 1500VA, and 16.3lb for 1000VA https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/tran ... power/1182 You'd need 1500VA for the 1400W Mara X, so any power supply that weighed less than about 25lbs (and is a toroid) would be suspect IMO.

FWIW, the '2000W' power supply that you linked to says 3x in the fine print, so that is actually 650W, which isn't even half the Mara X's spec. Thus, there is no way that I would use that power supply with a Mara X. (I also wouldn't use my '3000W' power supply with a Mara X.)

Note the Mara X has electronics so there may be issues with 50Hz vs. 60Hz, but I don't know.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

JRising
Team HB

#676: Post by JRising »

In the long run, it is actually cheaper to buy 4000W transformers at $250 to do a 2000W job and only replace them every 5 or 6 years than to buy the 2000W ones at $100 and replace them yearly.

Better still, if it's going into a kitchen with split receptacles that you could convert(Or a kitchen where you can install a dedicated 220V receptacle), the Mara X will be much happier with that.

chlorophyll

#677: Post by chlorophyll »

Thanks for the answers, it sounds like I should just get the V1 in Canada and not go through the hassle. For my use case, with 1 milk drink and 2-3 espressos per day, I don't depend on V2 upgrades (and should probably just get a single boiler, but Mara X is cool) :lol:

Advertisement
baldheadracing
Team HB

#678: Post by baldheadracing »

JRising wrote:... Better still, if it's going into a kitchen with split receptacles that you could convert(Or a kitchen where you can install a dedicated 220V receptacle), the Mara X will be much happier with that.
That's the best solution. I use that receptacle for a kettle now, but I have run machines in the past.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

dilin

#679: Post by dilin »

I am on CoffeeX and temp switch at 0, and the MaraX has been on for 25 mins as suggested by the manual. However sometimes when pulling the first shot, halfway through the temp pilot light blinks. The shot is normal, 1 to 2 ratio and the shot time is around 35s. The steam pressure is hovering around 0,5 bar during the first shot.

For the subsequent shots, I did not observe this issue. Does this mean a longer warm up time is ideal? Or did I miss the optimum first shot window (the declining steam pressure after the initial warm-up boost)?

Thank you.

skansen

#680: Post by skansen »

New colours: