The Picopresso - Page 14

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
PicoB

#131: Post by PicoB »

what a great idea! I will try to mimic it somehow.

PicoB

#132: Post by PicoB »

thank you! similar to what Damian said.

Advertisement
Hirak

#133: Post by Hirak »

Does the 1zpresso Q2 grinder (5-core pentagonal version) pairs well with the Picopresso, I have another espresso centric grinder but looking at the Q2 for portability. cup quality is more important to me than grind time.

jpender

#134: Post by jpender »

Hirak wrote:Does the 1zpresso Q2 grinder (5-core pentagonal version) pairs well with the Picopresso, I have another espresso centric grinder but looking at the Q2 for portability. cup quality is more important to me than grind time.
I have a Q2 but not a Picopresso. I bought my Q2 for use with an Aeropress while traveling but when I first got it I used it with my Robot and pulled good shots that way. It certainly takes a while to grind but it's okay as long as that doesn't stress you out. The other thing is that the burr adjustment is in 25µm increments which is bigger than ideal for espresso. With my Kinu I often make 5-10µm adjustments. That said, you can adjust the dose a little to accomplish the same thing. I found with one coffee in my Robot that a 25µm finer grind slowed the flow about the same as a dose 1g larger. So you could adjust the Q2 down a click and the dose up 0.5g to get approximately the same effect as grinding finer 12um. Or something like that.

Here's a youtube video of a travel kit that utilizes the Picopresso and Q2:

Hirak

#135: Post by Hirak »

jpender wrote:I have a Q2 but not a Picopresso. I bought my Q2 for use with an Aeropress while traveling but when I first got it I used it with my Robot and pulled good shots that way. It certainly takes a while to grind but it's okay as long as that doesn't stress you out. The other thing is that the burr adjustment is in 25µm increments which is bigger than ideal for espresso. With my Kinu I often make 5-10µm adjustments. That said, you can adjust the dose a little to accomplish the same thing. I found with one coffee in my Robot that a 25µm finer grind slowed the flow about the same as a dose 1g larger. So you could adjust the Q2 down a click and the dose up 0.5g to get approximately the same effect as grinding finer 12um. Or something like that.

Here's a youtube video of a travel kit that utilizes the Picopresso and Q2:

video
Thank you!

boren

#136: Post by boren »

Can you make back-to-back shots by preparing 2 Picropresso baskets in advance (puck prep + tamping) and then just brewing them one after the other (filling fresh boiling water of course)? I do it occasionally with a Flair Classic and 2 brew groups, and it works well enough for me and my partner to drink together. I don't see any reason why this won't work with the Picopresso.

Denyoz

#137: Post by Denyoz »

We use the Picopresso during camping exactly like this. I prepare two baskets, pull one Doppio for me and one for my wife (Cappuccino).

Advertisement
boren

#138: Post by boren »

Nice! Did you buy the extra basket directly from Wacaco?

Denyoz

#139: Post by Denyoz »

Yes, it cost me 10€... no shipping costs.

Devrim

#140: Post by Devrim replying to Denyoz »

So you live in Hong Kong? Takes more to get to Europe, af least $ 10 and my guess is I will get an additional custom fee :(

Guess I'll buy some Pavoni baskets instead