2020 Coffee Grinder Showdown - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
one_good_coffee

#41: Post by one_good_coffee »

devlin2427 wrote:Is there such thing as an "unbiased opinion"?
Opinion is biased by definition. It's an opinion :)

But a lot of biased opinions hopefully make for an unbiased perspective.

one_good_coffee

#42: Post by one_good_coffee »

ira wrote: And while I agree with you on the annoyance of the lack of availability of Kafatek products, it's clear that he's started a trend of better and better single dosing grinders, to the point that you now have a choice of a number of perfectly aligned grinders and the new questions will become what size burrs do want, what profile do you want on those burrs and maybe what RPM do you want the grinder to be capable of?
I agree. The Monoliths have been a huge step in this new path toward super-aligned grinders.

eltakeiteasy

#43: Post by eltakeiteasy »

Chert wrote:Ah, gee. I can't mark my own post above as helpful. But I hope it was.
It's only helpful if you donate and help him get thought money for the EG-1 edition :lol:
LMWDP #672.

LuckyMark

#44: Post by LuckyMark »

devlin2427 wrote:Is there such thing as an "unbiased opinion"?

Just out of curiosity, what's that missed or overlooked "DRM cup profile"? Is it universal or roast degree dependent?
Devlin I don't know, never tasted one as my town has been in lockdown since I started looking at grinders. I know two people with DRM burr grinders, one with a Versalab M# and one with the Honne from your country, both have multiple grinders and rate the DRM as their favourite for taste. It has piqued my interest in them. My point about missed or overlooked is flat or conical is often compared, hybrid is rarely thrown in the mix.

coffeemmichael (original poster)

#45: Post by coffeemmichael (original poster) »

Strifer wrote:
one_good_coffee wrote:Yea this phrasing lost me too..

What would swapping the burrs actually be demonstrating? That's what I'm getting at

zero610

#46: Post by zero610 »

Any updates when some comparisons for brew focused individuals will be released?

Great videos. Thanks for taking the time to make them!

#47: Post by coffeemmichael (original poster) »

zero610 wrote:Any updates when some comparisons for brew focused individuals will be released?
Part 3 focusing on the Versalab is next up, but looking I won't have it live until at least Friday 11/13

Before the transition to the brew results, a more full release of the espresso comparison will be posted. Brew will come once that is complete

espressotime

#48: Post by espressotime »

I fill the hopper of my K30 and when that's empty it's time for something new.So every two weeks.

one_good_coffee

#49: Post by one_good_coffee »

coffeemmichael wrote:
What would swapping the burrs actually be demonstrating? That's what I'm getting at
That the burrs independently of the grinder make the most impact? Or that independently of the burrs, there's still a difference brought by the grinders?

Switching the burrs, i.e. placing the HU burrs into the Monolith and the LU burrs into the Ultra, if suddenly it's the Monolith that finish in your top 2 grinders for the 1.5 ratio instead of the Ultra then we can assume you simply prefer the HU burrs. Or maybe you still prefer the Ultra and then it's more about the grinder than the burrs. Or you now prefer the Monolith, so the HU burrs (i.e. that you switched), but there's still a difference and it would be very interesting to know what difference.

I mean, the Monolith and the Ultra are the first ones to share the same 98mm burrs (and sharing the same kind of top quality in build and alignment), it seems to me that a lot of people would want to know how they compare and since both can be configured with either burr, switching the burrs between them seems to be the obvious thing you'd want to do to bring more insight into this comparison, isn't it?

#50: Post by coffeemmichael (original poster) »

one_good_coffee wrote: I mean, the Monolith and the Ultra are the first ones to share the same 98mm burrs (and sharing the same kind of top quality in build and alignment), it seems to me that a lot of people would want to know how they compare and since both can be configured with either burr, switching the burrs between them seems to be the obvious thing you'd want to do to bring more insight into this comparison, isn't it?
coffeemmichael wrote: This assumes there's a massive difference in alignment and that the behavior will change above 400rpm
Like I said above, it's instructive to boil down to the core question of what each test would prove

Two other things of note:
-- the HU burrs in ultra are screw-less-- can't mount into Max
-- the LU burrs no longer ship in Max