Ditting 804 Single Dose Hopper - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
rajbangsa

#11: Post by rajbangsa »

are vibrator plate on KR804 are removable? if so, how? :D

atreuhttam (original poster)

#12: Post by atreuhttam (original poster) »

ethiopianbuffman wrote:I think if you just raise the ring or lower the anti popcorn thing it would work.

Does your design use the metal disk at the bottom of the hopper?
Yes it does use the metal disc from the original hopper.

Advertisement

#13: Post by atreuhttam (original poster) »

rajbangsa wrote:are vibrator plate on KR804 are removable? if so, how? :D
Yes it is removable, you just have to undo bolt that holds it to the bottom of the motor, and unscrew the rod from the plate, then remove the screws holding the plate to the front panel.

#14: Post by atreuhttam (original poster) »

I spent the last two days modelling the KR804 in order to visualize different hopper designs on it. Below are pictures of the DF64 Bellows Hopper that I have had 3D printed already, and the second picture is the hopper that uses the LeverCraft bellows. I do not have a LeverCraft bellows in hand so the measurements are approximate based on their statement that it fits a 58mm opening. I may order the LC bellows to finalize the measurements and create a hopper compatible with it.

For anyone that is interested in hoppers/files, please bear with me. I am a pilot for my day job, and I'm on the road 3/4 days a week so I only have access to a computer to work on this stuff a couple days a week.

#15: Post by atreuhttam (original poster) »

Here are some photos that I just received from the gent that printed the first DF64 Bellows Hopper. I will be back in town Tuesday afternoon and plan on picking it up from him and testing it out. If it works well I plan on making all the surfaces a bit smoother with some filler, and will publish the files on thingiverse.

bakafish

#16: Post by bakafish »

It would be better to have a bean stopper like many grinders that you can start the grinder and then pour the beans.

#17: Post by atreuhttam (original poster) replying to bakafish »

This can be accomplished with the LeverCraft bellows, as the beans cannot pass through the bellows until it is pressed down and it opens up.

Advertisement
rajbangsa

#18: Post by rajbangsa »

atreuhttam wrote:Yes it is removable, you just have to undo bolt that holds it to the bottom of the motor, and unscrew the rod from the plate, then remove the screws holding the plate to the front panel.
Thank you!

very excite/appreciate for the design/print! :D

#19: Post by atreuhttam (original poster) »

Alright folks, I'm super stoked to have picked up the hopper today from the gent that printed it for me. This first print did not go perfectly. As he explained, when you are printing large flat surfaces ((like the top surface) there is a risk of the print lifting up, and causing some issues for subsequent layers. Luckily he was able to catch it before it completely ruined itself. He said that he will be adding what's called a "raft" for subsequent prints which is basically just a single layer of plastic that the printer puts down before putting down the first build layer which helps everything to adhere better and not lift up.

Regardless of those issues though, which are purely cosmetic, everything else came out great. All the holes line up, the dimensions work great with the shape of the 804, the funnel feeds into the ground chamber without issue, and the DF64 bellows fits perfectly. The total height of the grinder is now 17.75".

Using this hopper does requires some hardware to be sourced. This hopper uses the round metal disc from the stock hopper, and is secured with #6x1/2" wood screws. These screws hold great, and shouldn't cause any issues as you won't be undoing the disc frequently so there is no need for threaded inserts and machine screws. The funnel on top is secured by #2x1/2" self tapping screws, but could also just be glued on using CA Glue (superglue).

I will be making some small changes to the design to optimize it for printing, as well as finalizing the design for the LeverCraft bellows. The LeverCraft bellows version should further reduce the height of the grinder about another inch or so I would estimate.

The person that printed it for me is happy to print more and I am happy to sell complete hoppers with all of the necessary hardware to those in the US who are interested.

Here are some photos of the finished product mounted on my KR804

drill_and_phil

#20: Post by drill_and_phil »

Thanks for the update, I think it looks great. How is it functionally?

Put me down for one with the LeverCraft bellows when you're ready to sell :)
LMWDP #661