Ditting 804 Single Dose Hopper - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
drH

#31: Post by drH »

atreuhttam wrote:On the KR804, to the top of the DF64 bellows, it adds about 80mm/3.15" to the top of the hopper-less grinder, with the LeverCraft bellows, I would estimate around 50mm/2". I would expect similar figures on the 807, but I can't promise anything since I don't have a hopper yet to evaluate the attachment method, etc.

Is there a certain total height with bellows above the op of the grinder that you would like to achieve? If so, I can try to design the 807 version with that figure in mind.
Perhaps this is best in a new thread but here goes anyway:
The 807 is my ideal grinder but I'm having second thoughts on buying one given my cabinet height.
The 807 is 15.25in without the hopper. There is a hanging lip on our cabinets that provides a height clearance of just 16.25inches. Past that lip, there is almost 18in of height.
So ideally I'd like to have something that could slide under 16.25inches, then allow beans to be dropped in without too much awkward maneuvering if the inside clearance is 18.

atreuhttam (original poster)

#32: Post by atreuhttam (original poster) »

For everybody who has reached out to me expressing interest in a hopper for their 804, I appreciate your interest, and I'm excited to get some more printed and in your hands.

I have taken delivery of all the fasteners for the hoppers. There are a total of 8 screws used in each hopper; 4 that hold the disc from the stock hopper to the new hopper base, and 4 screws that hold the funnel ring to the base. In the first prototype I used standard wood screws, which worked perfectly fine, but the heads were a bit bigger than I liked, so I ordered some screws that are designed specifically for plastic, and the heads fit perfectly within the countersinks in the stock hopper fixing disc.

The design for the hopper using the DF64 bellows is essentially finalized. I have been very happy with the performance of it, and I don't see anything that really needs changing.

The hopper that uses the LeverCraft bellows is still not quite finalized. I am just waiting on the measurements of the bellows to finalize the CAD model before I have it 3D printed. Once I have one printed, it will be sent to the user who bought the bellows and is providing me with the measurements. They will test it out and let me know if anything needs tweaking. Once we're happy with the design I will make them available. This version is essentially the same, with just a smaller top opening, and a smaller funnel ring. All hardware is the same.

Unfortunately, my fiancee and I have both come down with COVID so we are currently isolating. Once we are in the clear, and I have the LC measurements I will have one printed and we will move forward with it.

I expect to be ready to take orders for hoppers by the end of May. I appreciate everybody's interest and patience as well!

Matt

ethiopianbuffman

#33: Post by ethiopianbuffman »

Is there a reason the funnel ring is not attached to the base? Seems like most people probably don't take that piece off?

Also you could make a hybrid funnel ring, you just need to make the inner ring of the df64 bellows higher with straight walls (probably 20 mm height from antipopcorn disk). It makes it alittle more of a pain to put on the df64 bellows, but I am sure most people may just leave it on there? I am making alot of assumptions here lol.

Thanks for all the work on this project though!

#34: Post by atreuhttam (original poster) replying to ethiopianbuffman »

I appreciate any and all input on this design, however there are a couple reasons why the funnel ring is a separate piece.

1. I originally designed the base to be printed upside down with the top face on the build plate of the printer. This would require supports to be printed that would be attached to the exterior top face, which would result in a ton of post processing to make attractive. In addition, there would be supports between the anti-popcorn disc in the middle and the funnel surfaces, which is undesirable, as you want these surfaces to be as smooth as possible.

2. Now that the base is being printed right side up, you would think it would be easier to make it all one piece, but you would still run into the issue of needing supports to be printed between the funnel surface and the anti-popcorn disc in the center. These supports would be very difficult to remove due to their location, and would again result in a less than ideal surface on the funnel sides, with difficult access to clean in up.

If I eliminated the anti-popcorn disc then it could be printed in one piece, but I don't think the benefit of making it all one piece outweighs the cons of not having the disc.

This may all be difficult to visualize, and I can post some pictures that illustrate why I plan on keeping it 2 pieces.

As for your other suggestion, I'm struggling to visualize that design, my concern with what I am able to gather from it is the overall height that would be added. My goal was to make the entire assemble as short as possible so that it would fit under my cabinets, and I know many others are after the same result as well.

ethiopianbuffman

#35: Post by ethiopianbuffman »

That makes sense. The supports are a pain to deal with and the anti popcorn disc is required.

Regarding single funnel to fit DF64 bellows and LC bellows, this is the modification that I was referring to:
Funnel for DF64 Bellows attachment:

Modified funnel for DF64 and LC bellows:

The inner ring will still fit in the DF64 bellows, yet be tall enough for the LC bellows to sit on top and open when depressed. This doesn't change the overall height when you have the bellows on top, but it does make it more difficult to put on and take off the DF64 bellows if one wants to do that.

gilbert

#36: Post by gilbert »

This is awesome - would love to hear more. How are they going?

#37: Post by atreuhttam (original poster) »

For everyone who has shown interest in a hopper, again I appreciate it.

I received measurements for the LeverCraft bellows and send out a prototype to the user who had the bellows to test it out. According to them the initial performance has been good and if they are happy with the design and performance then that design will be final.

Also, I had some aluminum fixing discs laser cut to replace the steel disc that affixes to the stock hopper. These have a round hole instead of a square hole to exactly match the size of the hole in the bottom of the single dose hoppers. I had 5 made and have 3 left after using one for my hopper, and sending one to the user who is testing the LeverCraft design. If you would like a hopper and an aluminum disc just let me know, it'll be around $5 extra. I can have some more made if there is additional interest, but it take about two weeks from ordering to delivery.

If you have PM'd me about interest in a hopper, I have tried responding to everybody, but it can be hard to keep up with PM's. Please send me another PM with the subject "SD HOPPER INTEREST" and it will allow me to keep better track of everything.

I have attached a photo of the aluminum fixing disc installed on my hopper.

Fuel

#38: Post by Fuel »

Hi, do you already have an example for the 807 Lab Sweet?

gilbert

#39: Post by gilbert »

Thanks to atreuhttam for sending the file through - got a mate to print this - loving it! Definitely helps the KR804 for home use

As an aside, has anyone aligned the burrs using marker test? I tried and there doesn't seem to be any flat spot to look for burr rub?

rajbangsa

#40: Post by rajbangsa »

have you try it?
you need to fine out where it really touch
from the picture it should work too (with smaller flat surface compare to cast)

cheers!