Ditting 807 Lab Sweet user experience - Page 38

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
blackhole

#371: Post by blackhole »

Have also been playing around with mine for about a week. Same thing, zero adjustment + shimming was required - I was near 1.0 for an acceptable flow speed out of the box.

Paired with the bianca, the flow seems very fast compared to the niche (18/45 for a medium roast). I don't really time my shots since I use the paddle - the extraction flow rate seems to go at 2g/s (ie. 20s for 40g after preinfusion) whereas for the niche the sweet spot was closer to 1.5g/s. I'm planning to updose somewhat to get the flow that I want, perhaps the niche was producing more fines which helped regulate the flow speed.

All in all it's early days for any new burr (<10 lbs) and it's my first time with a big(gish) flat. I do not RDT (humid weather) and my retention is horrible (~0.5g). BUT. this grinder truly is incapable of making a bad shot. pretty amazing.

mreloc
Supporter ♡

#372: Post by mreloc »

What aren't more of you just grinding direct to the PF?

erik82

#373: Post by erik82 »

Acavia wrote:Curious about people who use it for pour-overs. Do you find it drains the same no matter the grind?

I have an 804 with Sweet burrs. No matter if I am grinding in 5s to 9, my pour overs drain within +/- 20 seconds of each other. And sometimes a grind in 5s will drain faster than one in 7s - I assume the finer grind is starting to channel would explain that, but still within 15-20 seconds of each other normally. When I had a Comandante, I noticed wide differences in drain times between just a few clicks.
That's just how great grinders/burrs work. A Comandante will produce a lot more fines with a bit finer setting thus clogging your filter and slowing flow down massively. A great unmimodal grinder won't produce as much fines between different settings so extraction times are going up less.

brz

#374: Post by brz »

Hello.

Two days ago became the "lucky" owner of Ditting 807 Lab Sweet after 8 months awaiting. Unpleasantly surprised by the quality of grinding and product itself. I was reading this thread while I was waiting for the shipment, and as a result, some of the problems described here also affected me. There are others also.

1) Strange operation of the cooling fan, devoid of logic. It may work fast, it may work slowly, or it may not work at all. This does not depend on whether the coffee was recently burred. When it works slowly, a sound is heard, as if something is hitting it. But at high speeds it's just a normal fan noise. Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHwuwa5TCx8

2) Like some people written here, to get a 18-36 shot in 25-27 seconds, the knob should be set at position 0.2-0.3 (deep in the Turkish zone), then the contact of the burrs already begins.
I did a marker test. Terribe result: a very small contact area between both burrs. The wheel was calibrated to zero. I don't want to put foil shims, it doesn't fit in my head that I should do it on such an expensive coffee grinder. I'll attach photos of both burrs (before - after).

3) Turning the knob, when passing through certain positions, an unpleasant sound is heard, as if metal is rubbing against metal. I saw this in someone's video here too. Again, same link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHwuwa5TCx8

4) On my espresso setting, you can lightly press the wheel from above and additionally force the burrs to touch. Shocked by this design. Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpP5YUxshtg

5) The dosing cup is huge, when loading coffee from it into the portafilter, a good quarter ends up on the floor. As a result, I use a cup from Niche. Vibrations of idle work move the cup off the platform despite the rubber placed (a very cheap one, by the way).

6) There is no zero retention in my case - 0.3-0.5 g of coffee is "eaten" each time. To get zero, you need to use compressed air, brushes, knock X times on the chipper, blow everything out of the bunker, etc. etc. As a result, to get 18g out, I use 18.3g, then dancing with a tambourine, and then add about 0.3g more.

7) Actually, the most important: no imprevement in taste, no sweetness (rather bitterness), no surprise, as some have described here. Rather a disappointment. Surprised how good and useful my Niche Zero is. What to do now with Ditting - I do not know. The desire to simply get rid of it, hand it back to the factory, sell it, etc.

I use a light roast, Bezzera Strega, the burrs are unseasoned.

nicholasnumbers

#375: Post by nicholasnumbers replying to brz »

I had to return my 807LS to Prima after my cooling fan went bad. It was making some odd sound like the bearing was going.

I am grateful that Prima was exceptional to work with.

Nick

coffeeOnTheBrain

#376: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

I had a lot of trouble trying to find out what was wrong with my 807LS, including returning it to the factory and them replacing the burrs after "checking it". The new burrs made the situation better but not good at all. Now they send me a new grinder which, after aligning it, is perfect!
Not the best impression either but at least I have now what I expected when I order in January 2021 and what was attempted to be delivered in September 2021 and "repaired" until February 2022.

michael

#377: Post by michael »

Not a lot of great reports on the grinder in this thread; have you thought about one of the kafatek grinders 8)

baldheadracing
Team HB

#378: Post by baldheadracing »

The Kafatek is made in the USA. There is no duty or excise on grinders made in the USA to Canada. Of course there is still HST. If you do not clear the grinder through Customs yourself then there will also be brokerage fees.

The Nautilus and upcoming Nimbus are made in Germany and come with a power supply accepting 90v-265v 50Hz/60Hz input and a separate switch (that you can use or not use, as the power supply also has a switch). There is no duty or excise on grinders made in Germany to Canada. HST is still HST; brokerage is still brokerage.

The EG-1 is made in Taiwan. There is no duty or excise on grinders made in Taiwan to Canada. HST is still HST; brokerage is still brokerage.

I don't know the duty rates from Switzerland (Ditting), or China (P100) as I don't have grinders from those countries, but rest assured that you will be paying any and all applicable duty and excise, even if you don't see the charges buried in the sale price.

Amongst the above grinders, the Ditting does have the piece-of-mind advantage of local service. I recently had to ship a machine back to Italy as I was uncomfortable doing the particular repair that the machine needed - a bit of a hassle, but a risk that I had accepted when I bought the machine.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

NelisB

#379: Post by NelisB »

I have an Ultra grinder with both 98mm SSP as 80mm Ditting LS sets. I am a medium/light fan as well, concentrating on very light filter roasts at the moment. I prefer the 98mm SSP HU for those. I will change back to the Ditting set soon to do another taste-check. Ill keep you updated.

(extractions on ACS Vesuvius Evo Leva)

brz

#380: Post by brz »

Regarding to my post as of July 8th, 2022, 1:51 pm

I did not manage to fix my fan problem by replacing them - the problem is in the electrical circuit itself. My purchased fans crunch similarly (but quieter). This reproduces only at fan low speed (when grinder decides to turn it on)

The knob problem fixed by its repositioning and tightening the fixing bolt.

I finally used to shim both burrs from 10-15% to 60-70% of touching area. This resulted in 0.5 espresso setting instead of 0.2 and slighly better cup, but I'm still dissatisfied and it's tasteless.

Also axial displacement was found, which cannot be fixed with any of shims as I think. May be this is a source of problems, that the burrs do not work as designed