EG-1 Died... - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Andrewp

#11: Post by Andrewp »

I'd still be pissed at the lack of customer/after sales service. Clearly they are very confident it hasn't effected their business at all. Disappointing though to say the least I would think.
Case closed before I get a note from the teacher.

erik82

#12: Post by erik82 »

For a heirloom product, which is how they sell and price it, having such major issues within 3 years is really bad. That controlbox should last at least 10 years or they should compensate you for the lack of quality. I do hope mine doesn't die soon (also first batch EG-1) but half of the leds of the last number don't work anymore which doesn't really bother me but it should've been constructed better.

Still love mine and wouldn't want to part with it but it should last a very long time.

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by mborkow »

This is my fear with all these very expensive grinders...when they break (as all things electronic will) who services them? Some of these companies won't be around in a few years...awfully expensive paperweight.

Ypuh

#14: Post by Ypuh replying to mborkow »

Same here. Let alone a simple service/default, like replacing a bearing that requires a custom tool. Does that mean shipping to another continent and back?
I don't want a Decent

chipman

#15: Post by chipman »

mborkow wrote:This is my fear with all these very expensive grinders...when they break (as all things electronic will) who services them? Some of these companies won't be around in a few years...awfully expensive paperweight.
WW has a relationship with a repair service in Richmond Ca. I'm sure that is not the only one. there probably is no need to ship over seas for repair.

ShelbiRyan (original poster)

#16: Post by ShelbiRyan (original poster) »

Do you know what the repair shop is called?

flyguyjake

#17: Post by flyguyjake »

Since they know many first gen owners are experiencing this problem WW should have and exchange program in place where they mail you out a new control box and you send back your broken on in the same box with return shipping included. This is unacceptable at this price with a "known defect". Baratza has far better customer service and their grinders are cheap in comparison. (didn't say well made or long lasting)
★ Helpful

chipman

#18: Post by chipman »

ShelbiRyan wrote:Do you know what the repair shop is called?
https://www.ozespresso.com

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by mborkow »

chipman wrote:WW has a relationship with a repair service in Richmond Ca. I'm sure that is not the only one. there probably is no need to ship over seas for repair.
But it is Weber Workshops that are directing the OP to send his grinder overseas for repair...whatever the problem is they don't feel that shop in Richmond is up to the task, right? But, beyond that, looking further down the road (as I'd expect any grinder on which I drop > $2k would be a grinder I'd be relying on for 10+ years) where do bespoke parts come from? Not meaning to single out WW here...I'd ask the same question of any of these bespoke grinders...and the warranties are all clearly designed not to protect you long term (12 months warranty on this type of electronic seems weak to me)

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by ShotClock »

My understanding is that the current EG1 has electronic components manufactured by Acaia. It seems that the relationship with the previous supplier is problematic from a support perspective. While it's annoying, I think a $500 repair on a $5000 grinder after maybe 5 years seems fairly reasonable, since I'm guessing that almost all of that will be shipping.

Having said that, maybe this is confirmation bias, since I just pre-ordered one...