EG-1 Died... - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
txxt

#21: Post by txxt »

mborkow wrote:But it is Weber Workshops that are directing the OP to send his grinder overseas for repair...whatever the problem is they don't feel that shop in Richmond is up to the task, right? But, beyond that, looking further down the road (as I'd expect any grinder on which I drop > $2k would be a grinder I'd be relying on for 10+ years) where do bespoke parts come from? Not meaning to single out WW here...I'd ask the same question of any of these bespoke grinders...and the warranties are all clearly designed not to protect you long term (12 months warranty on this type of electronic seems weak to me)
Not to dog pile on this point but a few of my previous posts in 2021 on replacing my EG1 were surrounding this very issue. After reading Chipmans thread I suddenly got very anxious about the ease of getting even minor repairs done even on my v2.

Best of luck w the replacement OP. I'm very curious to know what avenue you take for the repair and what the TaT is.

One thing for most readers that I could add is while messier, the Ditting 804LS grinds coffee on level of the EG1, has parts available all over the net, and is cheaper than most end game grinders. Just a little uglier in some ways :D

chipman

#22: Post by chipman »

Weber is not recommending sending back equipment. They offer very good customer service, trying to fix any issue as simply as possible.

Their equipment is no different from any other boutique manufacturer, or any espresso. If you need service, you will more than likely have to either ship it somewhere or if you're lucky be able to deliver it yourself if the repair is close by.

I have been a customer since they started with the original HG1 and have been very satisfied with their customer service.

sunnynights123

#23: Post by sunnynights123 »

I know Weber is based in the USA and manufactured in the east. Are getting spare parts to the USA fairly straightforward? Asking as a possible eg1 buyer

zix

#24: Post by zix »

Not meaning to single out WW here...I'd ask the same question of any of these bespoke grinders..
During the 2.5 years since I got the NZ grinder, UK has gone through Brexit and left the EU and Niche Zero stopped selling accessories to anywhere within the EU.

During the 7 years since I got the "Hand grinder for you and your grandchildren", the HG-1 v2014, the owners went their separate ways, the ti coated "aftermarket" burr set I got for it is no more sold and the transmission has been totally changed.

Five years pass by really quick. The world changes fast. Warranty is nice, but even better is a machine that is easy to take apart and possible to fix with "standard" parts, and a good tech savvy friend.
LMWDP #047

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#25: Post by JB90068 »

I was curious about this, not because I have any problems with my EG-1 and Chipman is correct. I sent them an email to which they quickly responded back that they do have a relationship with Weber and do repair their products.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

chipman

#26: Post by chipman »

sunnynights123 wrote:I know Weber is based in the USA and manufactured in the east. Are getting spare parts to the USA fairly straightforward? Asking as a possible eg1 buyer
They are actually based in Japan and their products are produced and shipped from Taipei. I needed to either repair or purchase a EG1v1 controller due to damage caused by a major power surge in my Condo. I got the part in, if I can remember correctly about five days via DHL.

ShelbiRyan (original poster)

#27: Post by ShelbiRyan (original poster) »

chipman wrote:Weber is not recommending sending back equipment. They offer very good customer service, trying to fix any issue as simply as possible.

Their equipment is no different from any other boutique manufacturer, or any espresso. If you need service, you will more than likely have to either ship it somewhere or if you're lucky be able to deliver it yourself if the repair is close by.

I have been a customer since they started with the original HG1 and have been very satisfied with their customer service.
I too have been a customer since the original HG-1. Their customer service has always been good, but they are in fact asking me to send the control box back to Taiwan for repair. I have asked about an exchange or even parts to be sent if possible, awaiting response.

I've also spoken to OZ espresso, they can't look at this for at least a month. They are also super backed up. Being that this is not warranty and that they've obviously had this failure multiple times before, I'm hoping they are able to just send me parts or offer an exchange. Either way it looks as though my grinder is I'll be down for several weeks.

It may be time to look for a replacement or second grinder... :| :|

jgood

#28: Post by jgood »

flyguyjake wrote:Baratza has far better customer service and their grinders are cheap in comparison. (didn't say well made or long lasting)
Baratza also has figured out that parts do not need to be a huge "profit center". They sell pretty much anything you might need cheaply. I think the electronic board is $20. They'll also rebuild for a very fair price. That said my Vario has been running fine for 3 or 4 years.

Chert

#29: Post by Chert »

chipman wrote:They are actually based in Japan and their products are produced and shipped from Taipei. I needed to either repair or purchase a EG1v1 controller due to damage caused by a major power surge in my Condo. I got the part in, if I can remember correctly about five days via DHL.
Knock on wood. My controller continues to do fine even digits mostly good; but no surges, just travel and daily use to stress it. Did you ever check with https://boytenterprises.com/. He does espresso machine electronics repair as well as burrs.

To the OP calling Boyt to ask is one thing I will do when mine gives trouble and I'm not able to find another certain solution.

Also check this, especially the last few posts!
LMWDP #198

erik82

#30: Post by erik82 »

flyguyjake wrote:Since they know many first gen owners are experiencing this problem WW should have and exchange program in place where they mail you out a new control box and you send back your broken on in the same box with return shipping included. This is unacceptable at this price with a "known defect". Baratza has far better customer service and their grinders are cheap in comparison. (didn't say well made or long lasting)
Please tell me all of the people who have problems because I only know of 2 who posted here (and the first one had a domestic electrical problem that seemed to have caused the problem). They sold hundreds of EG-1 V1 so it's probably still under 1%. You're kind of over exaggerating and bashing a manufacturer.

And Baratza grinders seemed to die within a couple of months so still under warranty.