Helor Flux (Helor 106): A review after 6 months of ownership. - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jonk

#41: Post by Jonk »

Custom grinder Bonafabrica from Russia

Could be a nice compliment to the Helor :)

Certainly worth a try if you like very light roasts.

Rabh

#42: Post by Rabh replying to Jonk »

Wow, I had no idea that existed. Very neat.

EvanOz85

#43: Post by EvanOz85 »

Anyone tried, or interested in, converting their Helor 106 to an 83mm grinder, as seen in this video?

The STL files for the 3d printed parts are here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4578496

Any thoughts on whether this would be an upgrade or downgrade? He uses Italmill burrs in the video, but I would assume this would work for Mazzer's set as well? Obviously there would also be questions about alignment, seeing as the outer burr is screwed straight into a 3D printed part. Interesting project, nonetheless.

Stevebcoffee

#44: Post by Stevebcoffee »

Would be interesting to see this carried out. Not sure why it should affect alignment as there shouldn't be any give because of the printed part. PLA with high infill and high detail could work. Looks like the holes on the Mazzer burrs are in the same place as the Italmills so possibly works with either. The Mazzer burrs are not cheap though

BodieZoffa

#45: Post by BodieZoffa »

Honestly I see no reason to stray from the 71 mm set as the grind/build quality of the 106/Flux is as good as any grinder can be/needs to be.

EvanOz85

#46: Post by EvanOz85 »

Stevebcoffee wrote:Would be interesting to see this carried out. Not sure why it should affect alignment as there shouldn't be any give because of the printed part. PLA with high infill and high detail could work. Looks like the holes on the Mazzer burrs are in the same place as the Italmills so possibly works with either. The Mazzer burrs are not cheap though
I have a Helor 106 as well as a set of 83mm Mazzer burrs. I don't have access to a 3D printer, though.
BodieZoffa wrote:Honestly I see no reason to stray from the 71 mm set as the grind/build quality of the 106/Flux is as good as any grinder can be/needs to be.
I mostly agree. It would just be one of those "try it out cause ya can" type things.

tompoland

#47: Post by tompoland »

Appreciate the heads up on the Helor 106 tx.

I have five grinders and some need RDT and some not. I don't RDT with the Niche or EG-1 for example but on the Honne it is a must.

I suspect the bean had an influence as well. For example a darker roasted bean is presumably drier and more likely to need RDT?
A little obsessed.

Stevebcoffee

#48: Post by Stevebcoffee »

Just carried out the mod to 83 mm Mazzer burrs. Changed the design as my Helor has 12 magnets on the catch cup, the one shown has only 9 so won't fit. Also changed the top part as wasn't happy how secure it attached. Have embedded the hex nut inside the printed top to make it more secure. Now weighs 6g short of 2kg. Takes 45 seconds to grind 21g for the Decent Lever profile at exactly 2 revolutions from lock. These are new burrs so will take some seasoning but I feel that big conicals at slow rpm do give a better taste, less muddy, in the cup. Would love to see some laser analysis of the grind distribution. Haven't tried filter yet - it's on the list, but hopeful it will do better than my Niche. Have to remember to use my left arm as well as I'll end up looking like Popeye but only on one side!
Am still using the original stainless catch cup and it snaps shut as strongly as before and never looks like coming loose
Version 2 will embed square nuts instead of hex as they will resisting twisting a bit more but even the hex are really solid.

Crazy that only a few years after the titan grinder showdown a hand grinder can use the 3 phase version burrs of the Robur.

EvanOz85

#49: Post by EvanOz85 replying to Stevebcoffee »

Incredible! Thanks for sharing! I'm impressed that you're still getting acceptable grinding speeds with the 83mm burrs.

Would you be willing to share your modified STL files and any further information you have on how to got this all to work? I'm gonna try to find a 3d printing source so I can try it out myself.

Stevebcoffee

#50: Post by Stevebcoffee »

I'm a complete newbie with this 3d printing malarkey but I am good at finding a way. Once I get to embed the square nut I could either send the revised files or the printed parts, at cost plus postage. It's a few specific nuts, 12 magnets and the prints themselves are peanuts.
Might take a week or so to get Fusion 360 to do what I need though. I'll post a few pics of what it looks like. Totally reversible in a few minutes as well