How Much Coffee Do You Waste When Switching Beans? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
redbone

#11: Post by redbone »

I have a timed Ceado E37 grinder. It's incredible how accurate the time to weight is as long as I do not change coffee beans. That being said I'm also surprised on how much variance in density can be between either different coffee or roasts. To avoid frustration I found I'm better off using a separate grinder to test other coffee or for other brewing methods.
Found that it takes some discipline not switching coffee but I end up with greater consistency and less frustration regarding mediocre or sink shots.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

LukeFlynn

#12: Post by LukeFlynn »

If you're not already, I would highly recommend weighing the grounds you put in your portafilter every single time. I know that it's a time based grinder, but still, it helps the process when you have a definitive value, then particle size becomes the ONLY variable you are adjusting.

You're gonna waste some coffee, but keeping everything consistent can help reduce that waste.

brianl

#13: Post by brianl »

I purge around 10 Grams when switching beans. Think of it less of wasting but more of saving as you wont waste 20 Grams on a terrible shot had you not made the adjustment.

This is a fantastic grinder so don't give up hope! I've basically been on autopilot in the mornings for the past year with how good this grinder is and how easy it is to use.

Charlene

#14: Post by Charlene »

I've found using a gram scale with the grinder to be necessary in order to quickly dial in the grinder timer setting for a new, as yet timer-not-dialed-in, coffee bean lot. :wink:

I *hate* wasting coffee beans. :roll:

edit: I keep note of grinder-settings & timer settings for dialed-in coffee bean lots thus, switching between bean lots is less problematic, changes in bean humidity/bean oxidation notwithstanding.

ado

#15: Post by ado »

Thanks.

Charlene

#16: Post by Charlene »

I'm a newbie with brand new equipment.

Wasting two pounds plus of coffee beans and pulling awful shots during the first two days was what it cost me to confirm I didn't know what I was doing.

On the third day, I went back to the Newbie Introduction to Espresso video series and re-watched the lesson on grinder dial in. It sunk in that time. Like magic I zeroed in on the sweet spot after 8 small incremental grinder setting changes.

Newbie Introduction to Espresso - Grinders [video]

After the dialed in bean lot was depleted, was able to dial in a whole different bean lot within 5 small setting changes.

Using a scale to measure grind weight (18.0 grams) and the shot weight (36 grams) coupled with a cool Android shot timer app called Perfect Espresso Coffee Timer by MLT Labs made it all come together for me.

I went from :roll: to :shock: to 8)
shanec wrote:I am brand new to home espresso making and am still getting used to my Ceado e37s. The one thing that is killing me is the amount of time and coffee beans wasted when trying to dial in the grinder for new beans. It probably took me over a pound to initially dial in my first beans, which were Verve Streetlevel. Once I burned through all of those, I switched to the Fattobene beans that came with my grinder from 1st-Line. These seem to be a darker roast and were slightly fresher, but I was shocked at how much finer I needed to grind the beans to get a good extraction speed. I probably burned through half of my 1 lb. bag just trying to get the speed right and I still don't think I have the espresso machine settings right for this roast to create a great espresso.

I don't plan to switch beans often and will likely stick to Black Cat or Counter Culture Big Trouble (or Hologram) because they are always available and fresh in my area. I know I need more experience and it will get better with time, but how much coffee do you guys typically burn through when you get new beans (even if the same roast, just different roast dates)? For now, I am likely going to have to buy 2 lbs. at a time until I get a little better at this process.

canuckcoffeeguy

#17: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Here's what I do. And I only single dose and change beans frequently.

I keep notes on every shot I pull. Yes, I'm crazy like that :shock:

So I write down the following in my notebook with pages dedicated to a specific coffee:

°Roaster
°Roast date
°Bean name, varietal/blend name
°Date of shot being pulled
°Dose in grams
°Grinder being used (K10 or Vario)
°Grinder setting
°Beverage weight in grams
°Brew time
°Did it taste good?

This helps me keep track of changes in variables. And it helps me hone in grind settings for future coffees from the same roasters. It's not a guarantee. But it gives me a place to start. And more often than not, I'm close with the first shot. Then I fine-tune with a shot two or three.

So I'm usually pulling very drinkable shots very quickly. Trickier beans might throw me for a loop. But I'm usually in the ballpark right away.

Charlene

#18: Post by Charlene replying to canuckcoffeeguy »

I view being able to quickly switch between bean lots on a shot by shot basis like that as impressive.

Do you measure out just enough beans for grinding a solo espresso shot?

That might explain why some folks have multiple espresso grinders... each dialed in for a particular coffee bean lot for switching from one lot to another on the fly.

dominico
Team HB

#19: Post by dominico »

I switch between coffees a lot. I usually have 2 to 3 coffees on hand that I switch between and pull different coffees in the same session. I single dose and I use this Google form I created to log my shots parameterso to help me pick up where I left off: Espresso Shot Log Google Form Template
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

Charlene

#20: Post by Charlene »

That sounds wonderful, Dom!

I usually have 3 or 4 different lots of green coffee beans on hand but have only being roasting one lot till it's gone then switch to the next lot. This opens my eyes. I'll check that shot log out.
dominico wrote:I switch between coffees a lot. I usually have 2 to 3 coffees on hand that I switch between and pull different coffees in the same session. I single dose and I use this Google form I created to log my shots parameter so to help me pick up where I left off: Espresso Shot Log Google Form Template