How Much Coffee Do You Waste When Switching Beans? - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
canuckcoffeeguy

#21: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Charlene wrote:I view being able to quickly switch between bean lots on a shot by shot basis like that as impressive.

Do you measure out just enough beans for grinding a solo espresso shot?

That might explain why some folks have multiple espresso grinders... each dialed in for a particular coffee bean lot for switching from one lot to another on the fly.
Yes, I only single dose. So I measure(weigh) the beans required for each shot. I'm the only coffee drinker in my house. And almost exclusively drinks straight shots. So I want to make the most of my shots. And I like to try different beans and blends. With two espresso grinders, I can rotate more easily.
dominico wrote:I switch between coffees a lot. I usually have 2 to 3 coffees on hand that I switch between and pull different coffees in the same session. I single dose and I use this Google form I created to log my shots parameterso to help me pick up where I left off: Espresso Shot Log Google Form Template
Great template. Much more sophisticated than my hand scribbles. Although I can write this down in seconds which suits me when I'm flying out the door for my morning commute to work!

Charlene

#22: Post by Charlene »

CanuckCoffeeGuy, you are a hard copy hand recording historian. I admire that. I'm not naturally wired that way and I think it is cool.

Your family should gift you with a nice tablet sized leather bound coffee diary for your birthday to preserve your memories of all this, perhaps becoming an historical coffee collectable when we are all long gone.
canuckcoffeeguy wrote:Yes, I only single dose. So I measure(weigh) the beans required for each shot. I'm the only coffee drinker in my house. And almost exclusively drinks straight shots. So I want to make the most of my shots. And I like to try different beans and blends. With two espresso grinders, I can rotate more easily.
Dom, I took a look at your Google form and it's impressive. I am going to try it out. Thanks!
dominico wrote:...I use this Google form I created to log my shots parameter so to help me pick up where I left off: Espresso Shot Log Google Form Template

iploya

#23: Post by iploya »

Forget about adjusting your grinder when you change beans. Even using the SAME beans, I sometimes find the need to change settings daily, or even later same day. It's frustrating. Another issue is when changing from single to double basket. On my Baratza Preciso single/double are approximately 2 major clicks away for the same intensity of extraction. But I wonder, how consistently does my grinder track the adjustment settings, e.g. if I rotate the hopper all the way one way and back, does it really return to the same place?

Renegade

#24: Post by Renegade »

I single dose and I swap beans very often. I always have 2 or 3 types of beans at home. I can drink El Salvador, Nicaragua or Peru in the same day.

I also drink normale, doppio, latte and americano, and none of them is dialed in the same.

And I don't waste any beans. Sure, some minor adjustments occurs, but the quality of the drink is always high.

My consistency secret is ROASTER. Since I found that magic man, the dial in is way more easy and right on the spot time after time. Since I Know him, I am able to lock parameters for many types of beans for different recipies and nail it time after time.

canuckcoffeeguy

#25: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Charlene wrote:CanuckCoffeeGuy, you are a hard copy hand recording historian. I admire that. I'm not naturally wired that way and I think it is cool.

Your family should gift you with a nice tablet sized leather bound coffee diary for your birthday to preserve your memories of all this, perhaps becoming an historical coffee collectable when we are all long gone.
Thanks. I like to keep track of my shots. Details, details. But you haven't seen the other pages in my log book. My young daughter uses them for doodling. Even the pages where I've written!

Charlene

#26: Post by Charlene replying to canuckcoffeeguy »

Oh, that's so cute!