Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 7

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
5280grindz

#61: Post by 5280grindz »

Wondering why the companies merged or one was acquired. If its to consolidate finances and/or mitigate money problems, I'm not real comfortable shelling out a $600 non refundable deposit for something that hasn't even been reviewed or shipped to customers yet.

Other problem is they can't guarantee the product will ship free of defects. Who does business that way with a premium prIced product? Deposit Is roughly the price of a Niche Zero.

If either Niche or Kafatek shipped with defects, cosmetic or otherwise, people on the forum would be up in arms.

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#62: Post by mivanitsky »

Non refundable is the problem. Kafatek charges big, refundable deposits.

Re: suitability as EK43 replacement:

It depends on your taste, I suppose. I find MAX, aligned EK/SSP, and Tanz to be very nearly identical for nonespresso applications. I've not had pourover or drip from a well-aligned small SSP burr grinder. Jake's experiences with Alicorn suggest that it may be good enough. Perhaps Jake or Peter would care to elaborate.

5280grindz

#63: Post by 5280grindz »

mivanitsky wrote:Non refundable is the problem. Kafatek charges big, refundable deposits.
100% agree. Denis also doesn't ship a flawed product.

From the Lagom 64 shopping page...

While we will do our very best to ensure the cosmetic perfection of each delivered units, occasional micro-scratches or cosmetic flaw (that is not visible from 10cm away) may be inevitably due to handling and final QC check. Therefore we cannot guarantee the cosmetic perfection but we can review it on a case-by-case basis.

Engaged in some discussion with them, encouraged but proofs in the puddin. Hoping to see a change in deposit policy, fulfillment times, finished product policy, product reviews.

_DSCH_

#64: Post by _DSCH_ »

Looks like a Delaware LLC

_DSCH_

#65: Post by _DSCH_ »

And as such you won't get anything from the state that's of any significance. Only thing that usually gets filed until dissolution of the entity is a one page certificate that was probably signed by a paralegal or admin worker at the DE agent.

truemagellen

#66: Post by truemagellen »

_DSCH_ wrote:image
Looks like a Delaware LLC
I am pretty sure they are a completely foreign company and wonder if there is a USA entity at all. Not an endorsement or a critique of them.

Melbourne design but Chinese run? Taiwan manufacturing if I recall. Kind of like 1zesoresso, hiring supposedly NewZ. design firm to make their products. Got to hide the Chinese company with marketing I guess

Many have the option/helor HSM grinder. Still Trust but Verify.

I want to see how it goes for those who put down deposit A good credit card company would back them up anyway.

Gummipferd

#67: Post by Gummipferd »

Non refundable is the problem. Kafatek charges big, refundable deposits.
No, this is just not true. Deposits for a Monolith are not refundable.

Also, I love my MC3 but it is not without minor cosmetic flaw.

namelessone

#68: Post by namelessone replying to Gummipferd »

I got mine refunded, Denis will do it if you ask nicely :)

5280grindz

#69: Post by 5280grindz »

truemagellen wrote:I am pretty sure they are a completely foreign company and wonder if there is a USA entity at all.

Many have the option/helor HSM grinder. Still Trust but Verify.

I want to see how it goes for those who put down deposit A good credit card company would back them up anyway.
US LLC helps them do business/bank in the US. Also unsure since this touches food if it's a regulated product i.e. FDA involvement so US tie is mandatory.

True about Helior but they're making some bad choices like the deposit policy out the gate.

Once you pay off your balance the chance of getting your money back drops majorly (I'm a former credit card guy). The website also clearly states nonrefundable, which is a term you accept when you hit OK. So you can pretty much kiss your deposit goodbye for the next preorders shipping mid Feb or 4 1/2 months away if something goes sideways with the company.

espressoking

#70: Post by espressoking »

5280grindz wrote: True about Helior but they're making some bad choices like the deposit policy out the gate.
It is actually Helor, not Helior.
Why is a deposit a bad choice? Kafatek follows the same approach ("Non-refundable deposit for the Monolith Flat MAX espresso grinder ...").
Would you say Denis chose the wrong path as well then?
And what about Kickstarter then?