Monolith Flat with SSP?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
SteveH
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by SteveH »

Anyone received their SSP burrs for the Flat yet? Any install tips and/or initial impressions vs stock? Mine come this week

RyanP

#2: Post by RyanP »

I should have mine today. Will take for a test run tomorrow morning.

endurancematt

#3: Post by endurancematt »

Mine will be in tomorrow. I'll report back!

Chert

#4: Post by Chert »

I could not find the post about torque settings for the mount screws. Did I dream it up or are there specific torque recommendations for afixing a burr to its platform?
LMWDP #198

*sigh*

#5: Post by *sigh* »

Chert wrote:I could not find the post about torque settings for the mount screws. Did I dream it up or are there specific torque recommendations for afixing a burr to its platform?
Here you go.

Monolith Flat with new SSP burrs option.
Peppersass wrote:... Denis set my mind at ease about alignment getting messed up when changing burrs. He said make sure the chamber is absolutely clean and tighten screws to 3Nm. He also said he's been working on these burrs for almost a year.

Chert

#6: Post by Chert »

SteveH wrote:Anyone received their SSP burrs for the Flat yet? Any install tips and/or initial impressions vs stock? Mine come this week
That's the only reference to install instruction I couldn't but *sigh* found. see response #5
LMWDP #198

SteveH (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by SteveH (original poster) »

RyanP wrote:I should have mine today. Will take for a test run tomorrow morning.
Please report back on install and first impressions!

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by FotonDrv »

Got my Redspeed SSP burrs today.

I installed them, left the grind setting the same as the Mythos, spun by hand to confirm no contact/interference and ground a dose. I used the exact same beans and basket that I had used earlier today and got the same extraction rate (surprising to me).

The sound was more quiet and the grounds appeared more fluffy.

The flavors seemed better, but without an A/B comparison with a stock Monolith Flat it would be tough to really compare. It did however taste better to me with a bit more flavor definition.

I used 12.5 of Panama Geisha combined with 5.5g of Ethiopian Red Haraaz A+ in a standard Slayer basket which hold 18g and could be dosed higher.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

ds

#9: Post by ds »

FotonDrv wrote:Got my Redspeed SSP burrs today.
I'll pick mine up end of week!

Are they grinding slower, faster or about the same as stock burrs?

Tonefish

#10: Post by Tonefish »

FotonDrv wrote:Got my Redspeed SSP burrs today.

<image>

<image>

I installed them, left the grind setting the same as the Mythos, spun by hand to confirm no contact/interference and ground a dose. I used the exact same beans and basket that I had used earlier today and got the same extraction rate (surprising to me).

The sound was more quiet and the grounds appeared more fluffy.

The flavors seemed better, but without an A/B comparison with a stock Monolith Flat it would be tough to really compare. It did however taste better to me with a bit more flavor definition.

I used 12.5 of Panama Geisha combined with 5.5g of Ethiopian Red Haraaz A+ in a standard Slayer basket which hold 18g and could be dosed higher.
In comparison to the Mythos, they look like they might grab more beans. Is the grind time any faster?
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!