Motorizing the HG-one - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#41: Post by FotonDrv »

Thanks Tom :)

For anyone attempting this Mod, all measurement must be from the motor shaft centerline and the HG-One shaft centerline.

I am going to work on the feet to reduce noise transmitted through the counter. The OEM feet are to sticky and you cannot slide the grinder, and at 52 pounds you really want to be able to slide it!

I suspect the OEM feet would stop noise transmission but I am going to add felt pads onto a modified aluminum base. If I change out the base plate extension to one that extends to the rear, like this.

Then the motor would have those extensions on the rear of the plate going 1/2 around the motor end cap but not restricting air flow at all. It would also help the balance of the setup since it is motor heavy on the rear and the fulcrum point might be 1/4" past the rear of the baseplate; it cannot fall or tip over anywhere but it does not take much to make it want to rock back onto its motor base cap. So far not an issue but just a thought for further Mods.

That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#42: Post by FotonDrv »

TomC wrote:Stephen, props to you! This really is one of the coolest things in coffee I've seen in a while. Thank you for sharing the videos. I want one so badly now.
Tom, there are really only 3 parts that are added, 4 counting the junction box w/switch and capacitor. The base plate extension is pretty easy. The motor shaft mod, cutting and inserting a threaded shaft inside the hole and adding a keyway setscrew are not bad, but the hardest part is the spacer/mounting plate of 2" thick aluminum that holds everything in alignment is probably the hardest part. If that spacer is made to fit the motor first(after making motor shaft) then the motor w/spacer can be slid together and hole/drilling points marked on the grinder tower. Since I do not have a milling machine, especially with digital readouts, it was hard locating those holes accurately.

So those are the 3 parts, but wait, don't forget a bunch of cash!! :mrgreen:

Séb

#43: Post by Séb »

Wow, really nice job! The motor is nicely integrated.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#44: Post by FotonDrv »

jedovaty wrote:Ah, poo. I was hoping you'd find a faster motor. 60rpm is no faster than my windscreen wiper motor. I gave up my search, hopefully someone finds one.. ~200rpm (+/-) would be ideal. Nice job, though.

Why did you elect not to use spider couplings? Too much play?
Coupling adds length which I did not need, although could be done by pushing the Bison gearmotor shaft further into the hollow shaft drive.

http://www.bisongear.com/products/right ... -1468.html This looks to have an rpm more to your liking but the cost with DC drive controller is skyrocketing.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#45: Post by FotonDrv »

Séb wrote:Wow, really nice job! The motor is nicely integrated.
Thank you :)

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#46: Post by EspressoForge »

Very nice, I'd like one...if someone brings a bolt-on attachment to market I'd be in depending on price. What do you think a reasonable price you could put on building a kit would be? Not to put you on the spot or suggest that you will build kits, but just as a curiosity. Maybe price was the reason HG ended up abandoning their motorization plans.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#47: Post by FotonDrv »

There is a $1k in parts if you look at the Links, so what do you think machine time for a CNC produced group of parts would cost?

jedovaty

#48: Post by jedovaty »

FotonDrv wrote:Makes for a longer coupling.

I believe the same company makes motors of every size shape and description and if you think the 200 rpm will be OK with the HG-One gearbox then go for it! I know that using pulleys and a different motor you could drive it at any speed you desire.
Many of us grind faster than 60rpm by hand, and a lot even subject their to grinding rice... gearbox takes all that transfer of torque fine. I can understand why you are concerned, though; me, I'm not worried at all.

Was also hoping for a sub $200 priced motor.. just saw, that thing is $750! Well, can't have everything! :) The windshield wiper motor still reigns in my book as the ghetto winner ($25 from pick a part 90's mercedes, or $150 new), simple m6 screw into the shaft secured by a jam nut, a 10A 12V supply, and whalla, 60rpm! I've run it at 18V, too.. a little faster, but then it smells funny. Wish they had a faster one without dropping the torques.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#49: Post by EspressoForge »

FotonDrv wrote:There is a $1k in parts if you look at the Links, so what do you think machine time for a CNC produced group of parts would cost?
No idea, but over my budget already...around $500ish total kit price I think I could justify, any more and I might as well sell off the HG-One and get a different grinder.

I'm thinking belt driven from a modified fly-wheel may be a cheaper alternative than a direct-drive motor.

arcus
Supporter ♡

#50: Post by arcus »

Nicely done and I think most significant others would approve whereas some of the other versions maybe not so much. I also really like the base plate extension idea for version 2.0. :)

I think the rpm choice was wise and I also wouldn't be willing to try 200 rpm with that gearbox unless someone with expertise on such matters said it was safe.