Owner experience with LIDO cupping coffee grinder by Orphan Espresso - Page 65

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mkeller234

#641: Post by mkeller234 »

Ha. You know it! I have a local roaster down the street that I bought some beans from. I tried their Panama Boquete. I just finished it tonight. I used my press and thought it was pretty good. I tried a couple of new techniques with my press and think it really helped the end result.

A little off topic here. I've been learning more about the two roasters near me. I see than one is using a Diedrich VR roaster, which uses infrared heat, and the other is using an Ambex YM-2. I see that there is a sizable difference in price between those two roasters. I suppose equipment doesn't matter so much, rather the skills of the operator (or lack of). Anyway, It's been fun to learn. I feel fortunate to have two great local roasters within my reach.

skittles_s

#642: Post by skittles_s »

mkeller234 wrote:A little off topic here. I've been learning more about the two roasters near me.
Mind sharing where in OH and which roasters these are? If you're in Central Ohio, consider adding the info to this thread:
Central Ohio Coffee Shops and Roasters

mkeller234

#643: Post by mkeller234 »

I'm in Canton, so about 2 hours north east of Columbus. We have Muggswigz in downtown Canton, which is about a 5 minute ride. Muggswigz has been around for a while, maybe a decade. Bent Tree roasters is about 35 minutes north in Kent Ohio. I just learned about them. It looks like they have been around for maybe two years.

Obviously I am mainly familiar with Muggswigz. The baristas there have been very helpful with any questions I've had. One time they even let me use their breakaway tamper to get a feel for the proper pressure.

mkeller234

#644: Post by mkeller234 »

I couldn't resist the urge to polish the aluminum. I'm surprised it took me this long to do it. I only hand polished and didn't go crazy with it, just a quick buffing. I made sure to wash everything really good afterwards (except the burrs of course)

I honestly think I like the unpolished look better, but I had to try it at least once. It will dull back down with time anyway.

Not a very good picture, but I thought it showed the polish a little better.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#645: Post by jbviau »

Woah! I have the sudden urge to clean my grinder(s). Aaaaaaaand...it passed. Carry on.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

mkeller234

#646: Post by mkeller234 »

Haha. Being a father of a two year old, full-time employee and also a landlord, I normally do not have the time, energy or desire to do extra work like this. It helps that the Lido is my only grinder (until the Lido 2 comes out, hopefully). However, there is something therapeutic about sitting down and working with patience and care. It's easy to get caught into the trap of rushing from place to place, getting lost in my "to do" list. That's why I love manually grinding my coffee and french press brewing. Weekend mornings I wake up and take a moment to slow down and make coffee with patience and care. :D

jbviau
Supporter ★

#647: Post by jbviau »

Despite how nice the LIDO 2 is, I've still got love for the 1. Sure, I recently sold off one of my LIDO 1s, but I'm hanging on to the other. While cleaning up the unit I sold, I removed the black plastic bolt covers, and I liked the effect enough to leave them off and then do the same thing to the unit I kept. I've ground with the latter a few times since, and it still looks fresh and clean because there's no longer an easy way for fine particles to get trapped against the hopper walls. Give it a try if you haven't already; Doug and Barb assure me the bolt covers are purely cosmetic anyway (i.e. don't affect alignment).

LIDO 1 sans bolt covers (not sure where that green racing stripe came from):

hankua
Supporter ♡

#648: Post by hankua »

Despite how nice the LIDO 2 is, I've still got love for the 1.
Lido1 may be a collectable item one day 8)

jbviau
Supporter ★

#649: Post by jbviau replying to hankua »

Maybe so (it's #002, after all), but either way I enjoy how light it is, how you can clack its burrs, and, and...

My wife was joking the other day about using the LIDO 1 to grind up some Dunkin' hazelnut coffee. If she'd done that, I probably would have freaked out a bit. I'm definitely attached to the grinder. Funny thing is that it was my second LIDO, the one I had to send back to OE for an overhaul following the traveling road show it participated in; I think the history and character it acquired along the way won me over.

fusionnv

#650: Post by fusionnv replying to jbviau »

Somebody did that with coconut coffee in my porlex. It still smells like coconut, even after a billion washes. ARGH!