Weber Key Grinder - Page 74

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
FaantastiK

#731: Post by FaantastiK »

Has anyone in the US had to pay additional duty/fees for their air shipment once the grinder arrives? I'm debating an upgrade to my shipping method, but unsure about what the total cost will be.

Mike Panic

#732: Post by Mike Panic replying to FaantastiK »

DHL says mine should arrive Jan 26/27, I can follow up then.

chipman

#733: Post by chipman »

No extra customs or DHL charges for my delivery.

versusqc

#734: Post by versusqc »

Hugonl28 wrote:How are people finding the factory burr alignment? Good enough? Looking through with light, uniform gap all around?

I'm giving up on my first generation HG-One (stepless adjustment), because it's impossible to align. I need pieces of aluminum foil everywhere, been working with it for almost 9 years now, but never got it aligned to anything good, it still produces too much fines. I found out the shaft has always been bent, so using pieces of foil under the lower burr to shift it around and get it moving centered, but it's a fool's game. Just want to get rid of the darn thing and buy a grinder that produces less fines, because this one destroys every coffee, adding burnt taste to everything. Even my Rosco hand grinder produces less fines and makes better espresso, but it's too cumbersome.

So, if this KEY grinder has a perfect straight shaft and good factory alignment, I'm in. Otherwise, if it's still a hit or miss, I'll have to look elsewhere, maybe the Levercraft Ultra? What's the most accurate grinder with the least fines? I really detest that burnt taste of fines now after almost 9 years of dealing with it.

I think the long shaft of this grinder's design is a weak point, it exaggerates any milling error, making it very difficult to get the lower burr turning exactly centered.
haven't received mine, but D. Weber did make a point of showing how they check each shaft for alignment (see https://c1.iggcdn.com/indiegogo-media-p ... 3zu3rd.jpg), and how they have been rejecting a lot of less-than-perfect parts, so hopefully that won't be a problem with the key, but time will tell...

chipman

#735: Post by chipman »

I long for those days where the term "alignment" only concerned the front wheels of our autos. How did we ever survive? On a more positive note, we don't hear that term "Titan" as much anymore. So, I guess I should be thankful for that.

BruceWayne

#736: Post by BruceWayne »

No customs fees, they did hold it up for three days though.

thoang77

#737: Post by thoang77 »

chipman wrote:On a more positive note, we don't hear that term "Titan" as much anymore. So, I guess I should be thankful for that.
Verbiage just changes with time. We're now lumping everything at the top of the mountain as "endgame" items. I'll take "Titan" over "endgame" any day of the week.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#738: Post by baristainzmking »

chipman wrote:I long for those days where the term "alignment" only concerned the front wheels of our autos. How did we ever survive? On a more positive note, we don't hear that term "Titan" as much anymore. So, I guess I should be thankful for that.
Lol! Where is the Like button when you need one! :lol:
Julia

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#739: Post by JB90068 »

BruceWayne wrote:No customs fees, they did hold it up for three days though.
That's good news. I remember getting a bill for around $200. in duties from DHL when I got my EG-1.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

Hugonl28

#740: Post by Hugonl28 »

versusqc wrote:haven't received mine, but D. Weber did make a point of showing how they check each shaft for alignment (see https://c1.iggcdn.com/indiegogo-media-p ... 3zu3rd.jpg), and how they have been rejecting a lot of less-than-perfect parts, so hopefully that won't be a problem with the key, but time will tell...
Thanks for the link to the image, I didn't know that one yet, very encouraging that they take shaft straightness so seriously! Ok so that dramatically improves my confidence in the KEY. Very sad my original HG-One has a bent shaft, makes it unusable actually. Otherwise it would be an excellent grinder and I wouldn't be looking for an upgrade, since it's awesome in every usability aspect: zero retention, fast grinding, stepless adjustment, awesome burrs. Might start looking for a replacement shaft..