Weber Workshops Key Mk. i Grinder - user experience - Page 64

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Epicurus

#631: Post by Epicurus »

flyguyjake wrote:Did Weber change the metal wiper to plastic?

video
That's the wiper that comes with the funnel and standard tumbler. That wiper won't really do anything when using the magic tumbler as it won't touch the walls of the tumbler. She probably is just swapping between the two options.

tunamark

#632: Post by tunamark »

Have you resolved? I've seen the behavior twice. Left it unplugged for a bit and then pluged in. Resolved for me.

marnold013

#633: Post by marnold013 »

Hey all!
Wanted to get some advice as I'm patiently waiting for my Key to arrive. I currently have a Mignon Specialita for espresso and a Baratza Encore+ for drip/pour over. Was hoping to replace both grinders with the Key. In your experience, is this a good strategy or do you think I'll need to keep the Encore+?
I typically do a pourover first thing in the morning, then an espresso or two later in the day.

Thanks! (If this should be in a different thread, apologies, my first post here - let me know and I'll delete and re-post.)

uxdinosaur

#634: Post by uxdinosaur »

Has anyone had issues with a weird noise developing while grinding? Sounds like a rattle in the top gear. I'm hoping it just needs some grease but worried there is some manufacturer defect or just poor build quality. It's more pronounced at higher speeds. I emailed Weber with a video but no word yet.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#635: Post by yakster »

If you search this thread, there are several posts about noises with the grinder. If I recall correctly, it didn't seem to be a big problem.

search.php?keywords=noise&t=78698&sf=msgonly
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

N714

#636: Post by N714 »

marnold013 wrote:Hey all!
Wanted to get some advice as I'm patiently waiting for my Key to arrive. I currently have a Mignon Specialita for espresso and a Baratza Encore+ for drip/pour over. Was hoping to replace both grinders with the Key. In your experience, is this a good strategy or do you think I'll need to keep the Encore+?
I typically do a pourover first thing in the morning, then an espresso or two later in the day.

Thanks! (If this should be in a different thread, apologies, my first post here - let me know and I'll delete and re-post.)
Hello,,

I have tried the niche,MC4, and the key.Personally I think Mazzer burrs are made only for espresso. It can grind course but it has high amount of fines, muddy cups and bitter. If I were you I would keep the encore.

choroidalfusion

#637: Post by choroidalfusion »

Are you saying a $160 grinder is likely to outperform a $2000 grinder for brew?

Could very well be true. And I get that the Key with its burr set is more espresso forward. But as someone who is awaiting the Key and hoping to use it equally for brew and espresso, this is somewhat disconcerting.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#638: Post by baldheadracing »

Welcome to H-B!

I suggest trying out both and seeing/tasting for yourself.

Am I correct in presuming that the "+" means that the Encore has been retrofitted with M2 burrs?

Which you will like better depends on your tastes, the coffees that you drink, the roast levels of those coffees, your pourover method, your pourover technique, how big a pourover you make (grind size), etc.

How do you like pourover from the Mignon vs. the Encore+? That might give you an indication if you need to decide to keep the Encore+ before you receive your Key.

Good luck!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

N714

#639: Post by N714 »

choroidalfusion wrote:Are you saying a $160 grinder is likely to outperform a $2000 grinder for brew?

Could very well be true. And I get that the Key with its burr set is more espresso forward. But as someone who is awaiting the Key and hoping to use it equally for brew and espresso, this is somewhat disconcerting.
Well it depends on what is your definition of a good filter cup. The price will not change the grinding profile. If I'm looking for clarity in filter cups I think even 1Zprsso Q2 with 7 core burr will out perform all mazzer conical burr grinders including mc4 and key by far.

It is very hard to find a grinder which excel in both, but at least it is not as expensive to invest in a decent filter grinder.

You have to try it yourself you might like the cups,, Don't take my words as set stones this is my experience and I hope I'm wrong, and I wish if others have had a good experience with filter to talk about it.

FaantastiK

#640: Post by FaantastiK »

I care enough about coffee to be reading/writing in the home barista forums, but I don't take things quite as seriously as some of the people around here. With that said, I've successfully made tasty espresso, pour-over, and aeropress coffee with my Key and I'm quite happy with the purchase.