Adding espresso to the morning routine

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
tv79

#1: Post by tv79 »

I've always focused mainly on brewing methods outside of espresso, mainly because I typically prefer a larger volume of coffee in the morning. So while I've had my Robot for a few years now, it's only been used for about 0-2 shots each week.

Well, on our latest trip to Italy the cafe we frequented served MokaSirs, which is a quintessential Italian blend - smooth, ridiculous amounts of crema, and consistently tasty. I enjoyed it so much I found a distributor here in the US and ordered a bag before we even returned home.

So I'm now left looking forward to a shot each morning, while still wanting something more to start my day. Past few days I've been pulling a double followed by a pourover, but it's testing my caffeine limits.

For those who enjoy both, how do you incorporate them into your mornings?

macal425

#2: Post by macal425 »

Have you considered making an Americano from the shot?

tv79 (original poster)

#3: Post by tv79 (original poster) replying to macal425 »

I've really been enjoying this particular coffee as a straight shot, though perhaps it would surprise me as an Americano.

ohwhen

#4: Post by ohwhen »

Is it essential to enjoy it in the morning? I like to have a pour over first thing and an espresso or two between 11 and 1pm. If you keep drinking two drinks in the morning, your caffeine tolerances will grow, at least :D

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

If you're enjoying classic, Italian blends, they often have a significant fraction of robusta. Robusta beans have very roughly 1 1/2 to 2x the amount of caffeine that arabica beans contain. All in all, it may not be a lot, but perhaps something to consider.

tv79 (original poster)

#6: Post by tv79 (original poster) »

ohwhen wrote:Is it essential to enjoy it in the morning? I like to have a pour over first thing and an espresso or two between 11 and 1pm. If you keep drinking two drinks in the morning, your caffeine tolerances will grow, at least :D
Very true! Unfortunately meetings usually make it tough to find time during the work day, so I'm usually limited to what I can make first thing in the morning. :(

tv79 (original poster)

#7: Post by tv79 (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:If you're enjoying classic, Italian blends, they often have a significant fraction of robusta. Robusta beans have very roughly 1 1/2 to 2x the amount of caffeine that arabica beans contain. All in all, it may not be a lot, but perhaps something to consider.
Yep, IIRC this particular blend is around 30% Robusta. Somewhere I also read that it's considered "low caffeine", but given the significant amount of Robusta I'm not sure how that would be the case.

Oddly enough, too much caffeine typically has the opposite effect for me in that I actually feel more tired. So where a 400-500ml pourover, or to a lesser extent an 18g double shot, might be a good start to the morning, drinking both seems to be counterproductive.