How much coffee do you go through when dialing espresso in? - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
DanoM

#21: Post by DanoM »

Spitz.me wrote:Since I got the K10 and the VBM DD, I find that there is a lot less chasing going on.
+1
I started with a Vario then moved to the K10. For both machines I kept notes about different beans I was putting through them and got to the point I could recognize bean size, origin, density and dial in just based on that from there usually 2-3 shots and I've hit the mark.

For the Vario there was a much wider adjustment range and dialing in than there is on the K10. When adjusting the Vario I found it useful to always run the motor during any grind change coarse or fine, and to always make my fine adjustment from fine to coarse otherwise the setting will move coarser during the grind. K10 is usually within about a 3-4 setting range and the rest of the flavor adjustment is on the brew ratio - Strega Lever is the machine.

When I first started espresso it would take me up to 1/4 pound to dial in and fine tune the grind. Now with notes and rotation of about 6-8 known coffee beans I don't generally have any sink shots and can get dialed in on just a couple shots. Of course every morning there's the first shot - and then the possible 1/2 notch adjustment for the second shot.
LMWDP #445