How to tell which espresso machine someone owns... - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
DeGaulle

#11: Post by DeGaulle »

dsblv wrote: Decent Espresso owner: "Wanna see the graph of my last shot? The profile looks just like a lever machine!"
Answer from a basic semi-auto owner:
"How do you know it looks "just like a lever machine"? Did you actually hook up a pressure sensor and a data logger onto one and measure it?"
Bert

johnX

#12: Post by johnX »

Spot on.
This thread gave me a Great chuckle this morning!

Randy G.

#13: Post by Randy G. »

DeGaulle wrote:Answer from a basic semi-auto owner:
"How do you know it looks "just like a lever machine"? Did you actually hook up a pressure sensor and a data logger onto one and measure it?"
You don't need a data logger. It graphs itself. It's a lonely life, but it does keep itself happy.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

pcrussell50

#14: Post by pcrussell50 »

RobAnybody wrote:I already had the feeling these machines break down fast based on the number of posts regarding Breville issues, apparently I wasn't wrong :lol:
Rob
Interesting. Are you talking about here at HB?

Because when I go through the first five pages in the "repairs" thread, there is only one BDB topic, and that was from a guy who simply replaced a $0.10 o-ring and is back in business. (Which IME is very typical of the BDB). I won't call out any other brands but lets just say that there are several that make significantly more prominent appearances in the "repairs" thread, AND for significantly more severe problems than the BDB ever has. Most BDB things are never more than seriously easy DIY. That Breville offers a good warranty and offers to replace machines even over simple DIY'able repairs is between them and their customer.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Plinyyounger

#15: Post by Plinyyounger »

Off to the races, lol.
Family, coffee and fun.

Espresso_Monkey

#16: Post by Espresso_Monkey »

dsblv wrote:Actually, that was my homage to lever owners. The latest innovations In espresso machines seem to try to duplicate what a lever machine accomplishes through its innate design. I'm beginning to think that the levers got it right from the start.
LMWDP :lol:

pcrussell50

#17: Post by pcrussell50 »

dsblv wrote:Actually, that was my homage to lever owners. The latest innovations In espresso machines seem to try to duplicate what a lever machine accomplishes through its innate design. I'm beginning to think that the levers got it right from the start.
Yes. Yes they do. That's what I've done to my pump machine, and others to theirs, if they are easily enough modified to do so. Unfortunately, some aren't as easily modified to do this, while others seem to have been made for it, requiring no extra parts, no fabrication, and already have a group pressure gauge.

Anyway, I'll take your excellent observation and raise it a step by separating spring levers, which are a step UP the "automation chain" from direct levers like the Pavoni/Cremina siblings, where you actually feel the changing puck resistance in your hand. This has always had me wondering why the current lever obsession is so biased towards springs and not so much directs.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Haskens

#18: Post by Haskens »

RobAnybody wrote:I already had the feeling these machines break down fast based on the number of posts regarding Breville issues, apparently I wasn't wrong :lol:

I may have to do a bit of a rebuild on my lever machine in the future. (But indeed the espresso tastes great!l)
Cheers!
Rob

I don't have a BDB but a friend of mine does - I think he's had his for 3 years and it hasn't had any issues. He also did the flow control mod to his machine. He does take good care of it though, mainly with the water he uses. It's great value for the price - it's loud and terribly ugly but there's really no machine that has that functionality at anywhere near the price range.

pcrussell50

#19: Post by pcrussell50 »

Haskens wrote: I don't have a BDB but a friend of mine does - I think he's had his for 3 years and it hasn't had any issues. He also did the flow control mod to his machine. He does take good care of it though, mainly with the water he uses. It's great value for the price - it's loud and terribly ugly but there's really no machine that has that functionality at anywhere near the price range.
His time will come. Even with good water, he'll need to do a five minute o-ring job, or service his steam valve soon. Breville was kind enough to use high quality steam valves that are user serviceable, rather than disposable junk. At three years, he's in the "window". If he's not already a part of one the threads, he should take the top off his machine and wiggle the steam tubes to see if he can find a hisser. Let it cool, then swap in a new o-ring. Takes about a minute per o-ring, except for the one on the side, which takes a little more finesse. Have him PM me if he's not already down with all this.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

dsc106

#20: Post by dsc106 »

E61 DB owners?