Kudos to Orphan Espresso - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Bluecold

#11: Post by Bluecold »

+9, because it always amazes people when I say I can get spare parts for my 50-year old espresso machine.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Boldjava

#12: Post by Boldjava »

+10

For the recent Cremina rebuild YouTubes -- learned a ton about the machine, used them as tutorials for myself to better understand boiler pressure, lever basics, variety of steels -- basic mechanical matters that I slept through in 8th grade "Shop" class.

+11

Humor - sense of self. Doug confesses in one of the videos of the time when he was using a dremel tool and got his beard tangled in it. Thought I was going to choke on my coffee. I howled out loud.

B|Java
-----
LMWDP #339

Advertisement
jbviau
Supporter ★

#13: Post by jbviau »

I'll keep it going with a +12.

Doug and Barb have provided such outstanding support of their LIDO hand grinder that I felt I had to make what they did part of the public record here.

Backstory: months ago, I was lucky enough to win LIDO #002 as part of a traveling road show drawing sponsored by the Green Coffee Buying Club. The winner moves to the end of the participant line, so I didn't receive the grinder until early last week after it had passed through at least 9 other sets of hands and been shipped across the country numerous times. As a result of normal wear and tear, the LIDO arrived in need of some TLC. There was a hairline crack in the jar lid, and the handle was bent. In addition, the upper portion of the burr shaft (just under where the handle attaches) had acquired some "character" due to what I assume was the use of pliers. This didn't bug me in terms of appearance, but the fit between shaft and bearings is so tight that the few scratches there were made it very difficult to remove the burr assembly. I managed to get it out nonetheless and did some cleaning; still, I wondered whether the grinder's alignment might have been affected. In order to remove any doubt, I emailed OE asking about a tune-up, and they invited me to send the LIDO back. USPS tracking shows they received the grinder Thurs. afternoon (7/26).

Imagine my surprise, then, when a LIDO-sized package reappeared on my doorstep today (7/30), only four days later! It was shipped out on Fri. (7/27). Between Thurs. afternoon and Fri. morning Doug apparently found time to straighten the handle, replace the jar lid, smooth and polish the axle, and tweak the alignment. Furthermore, Doug and Barb refuse to charge me for their parts + labor or for return shipping. I'm astonished by both the speed and generosity with which they offered this repair service.

In case they're reading, thanks again!

"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

genecounts

#14: Post by genecounts »

I have had the same fantastic experiences in my dealings with Doug and Barb. They are absolutely the salt of the earth.

Sent the Cremina I had purchased via another web site. The guy had claimed he never took it out of the box since it was refurbished. Yeah.... Among other things only had one screw holding Pstat in place.... Doug took care of it tho it was not his responsibility....then in my further dealings with them they are never too busy to take care of any inquiry no matter how idiotic my questions get.

Wish we had some type of Home-Barista prize for winners like this that have helped everyone around the world so selflessly!

Boldjava

#15: Post by Boldjava »

Wish we had some type of Home-Barista prize for winners like this that have helped everyone around the world so selflessly!
When we have had charity auctions at GCBC, Barb always has been one of the 1st ones in line to donate substantive, solid items that command top dollar. You can always make a donation in their honor to:

http://coffeekids.org or
http://groundsforhealth.org

I am sure that would put a smile on their faces.

B|Java
-----
LMWDP #339

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by mborkow »

+=1

OE rocks!

KScarfeBeckett

#17: Post by KScarfeBeckett »

Adding my +1 with thanks and admiration for Doug and Barb's instantaneous diagnosis of a recent Pharos ailment and rapid treatment -- barely had my fingers left the keyboard when the solution was in the mail, with a nice personal note.
Bought me a coffee grinder that's the best one I could find