Smallest straight-wall 58mm basket?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
boren

#1: Post by boren »

I'm overall very happy with non-straight-wall single baskets (which I use with 12 gram doses), but I've seen many claims that such baskets produce uneven extraction compared to straight-wall ones. I already have 18 and 20 gram double baskets that are straight-wall, but they produce too much coffee and too much crema for my liking.

Is the 10 gram Decent basket the only option, or are there other options? I'm looking for a basket that can be used with a standard tamper (I already have a 7 gram VST basket that uses a 41mm tamper and I'm not a fan).

Thanks in advance!

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Below around 12-14 g in the basket the puck gets too thin. The VST 15 is the shortest they make, probably for good reason.

You don't need a special basket to try this if you've already got untapered baskets. I definitely wouldn't buy the DE 10.

boren (original poster)

#3: Post by boren (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:You don't need a special basket to try this if you've already got untapered baskets.
At least with a Flair 58 trying to use even 15 gram in a 20 gram basket doesn't work very well. There's too much headspace, requiring more water than what can fit in the cylinder. It's also impossible for a leveler tool to reach deep enough.

boren (original poster)

#4: Post by boren (original poster) »

So far the smallest straight-wall basket I found (other than the 10g Decent) is E&B LAB B702TFH20. It's supposed to support between 12 and 14 grams and has a height of 20mm. Looks exactly like what I'm looking for. Does anyone have any experience with this basket?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

boren (original poster)

#6: Post by boren (original poster) »

I now have the E&B B702TFH20 basket (12-14 gram, 20mm height) but I'm not a huge fan. It requires very fine grind level to create enough resistance for a proper shot, but at that level the amount of fines that end up in the cup is too high for my liking. Will the Decent 10 gram basket (which is also 20mm tall) fair better?