Cafelat Robot User Experience - Page 441

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Jeff
Team HB

#4401: Post by Jeff »

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4402: Post by yakster »

I don't really think I need this, but it's so affordable that it's hard to resist the urge to buy one.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

nameisjoey

#4403: Post by nameisjoey replying to yakster »

I know exactly how you feel lol

Morseman

#4404: Post by Morseman »

I'm a newby and still working to get the best possible result from my Robot, so I don't have all the answers. However, re: the pressure gauge - for two reasons, I would not get it if I were to replace my Robot.

First, it's difficult to accurately read the pressure gauge while pulling the shot and accurately weighing the result. Second, I found it easier to use a mirror to view the bottom of the basket as I apply pressure to the Robot arms and adjust the pressure as needed to get a steady even single-stream flow while simultaneously weighing the liquid as it fills my glass to get the desired 36 grams out, from 18 grams of coffee in.

bringyoutomyhell

#4405: Post by bringyoutomyhell »

The gauge is not needed, but it helps in understanding what goes wrong when the shot is not what it should. A 6 bar shot can be very different to an 8 bar shot, especially with light roasts, but it's hard to "feel" the difference in the hands. The difference is so minimal that I would get the gauge anyway. But it's true that is an additional thing that can break (very very rarely). But I'm quite into brewing parameters... maybe that's why I might upgrade to a Decent. For sure the Robot can be used more carelessly with a "go with the flow" mindset and get fantastic results.

Ken5

#4406: Post by Ken5 »

There is not right or wrong answer about the gauge obviously. I got the robot a while ago and I got the barista model and I am glad that I did. After using it for all this time I still look at it, but that is my personality, but I could get by without it at this point. I would have been totally lost at the beginning without it. Guess I could have taken the bathroom scale off the floor and put it on the counter at the beginning, wife would have killed me.

Kinukcafe

#4407: Post by Kinukcafe »

Hi, second day owner here and not able to get any good shot.

I then looked into the issue. And found the extract coffee is inclined to an angle. I went on to inspect the press head of the Robot and found it is shaking and moving left to right (pls see video below). Is it a defeat?

Also, here is the channeling I have:
Thanks for advice.

Ken5

#4408: Post by Ken5 »

The piston on the robot is loose like that without the basket and portafilter in place. When the gasket makes contact with the basket it stabilizes everything.

It seems to me that you need to grind a little coarser. Just curious, what was the ratio of the shot in the video?

Kinukcafe

#4409: Post by Kinukcafe »

Thanks for confirming.

I aim for 1:20 but end up 1:21ish. That's what I learnt as the ideal ratio. I used 17.5G coffee. You actually raised a good question. I wonder Why the shot pulled in YouTube video looks much longer than the 36g I have ??

Here is the grounded coffee. Does it look too fine to you?

I learnt from the forums and break down the crumbs with toothpick and redistribute a bit by moving the tamper in a circular motion on top of coffee. And tamper with light pressure.

The coffee tastes not okay but not too terrible. So much to work on before I nail. But one thing I think I should fix first is the obvious channeling. I tried just tiny slightly coarser and still have channeling and start tasting sour but it may due to other variables. Not sure. But maybe I should focus on the channeling first. I'm kind of loss on what to try next. Any advice appreciated.

Ken5

#4410: Post by Ken5 »

Oh... and those cracks that you see on the puck most likely happen when you lift the handles to remove the basket from the robot. Pulling the gasket up will draw water, and or air if you press all the liquid out, upwards through the puck. Manual has a blurb about puck analysis and the robot.