Cafelat Robot's V-seal is not generic?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Scott-ishBrewer

#1: Post by Scott-ishBrewer »

So a friend of mine who had a Cafelat Robot and sold it due to the non-generic seal according to him. And it just didn't work for him. :(

And he had several evidences to support it.

Can 52×40×7mm V-seal replace a 49.5×40.5×7.8mm V-seal? Have anyone else tried it before and it worked or didn't work?
I don't want to believe what my friend said since it just came from one person so I decided to ask my question here. One person might just be a fluke or the unique defect from his robot but several evidence will actually show what is true.
Also, I don't believe any "I haven't tried it but it should work" or "According to the Cafelat website, it should work". I need someone who owned one but actually trying it.

edit: Since my images don't appear, I will post some links instead for reference
Generic V-seal
https://www.espressoparts.com/products/ ... ton-gasket

Cafelat Robot V-seal
https://www.cafelatstore.com/products/robot-piston-seal

jpender

#2: Post by jpender »

Paul_Pratt wrote:The Robot seal is the same as the modern lever, 100% the same. Although I have never tested it, a lever :o seal from say Astoria, Quickmill, NS, etc...would be the same, but different material.
link

Advertisement
Scott-ishBrewer (original poster)

#3: Post by Scott-ishBrewer (original poster) »

Here is the problem, "Although I never tested it"

jpender

#4: Post by jpender »

Maybe. But the more likely explanation is that your friend is comparing two different sized seals.

#5: Post by Scott-ishBrewer (original poster) replying to jpender »

I don't believe "maybe" and "more likely", I want real evidence

Paul_Pratt

#6: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Why so serious? It's not as if I have priced them exhorbitantly.

The blue seal linked with espresso parts is too big. That is our adjusted modern lever group seal. Before that the Robot seal and the modern lever were the same.

#7: Post by Scott-ishBrewer (original poster) »

The
Paul_Pratt wrote:Why so serious? It's not as if I have priced them exhorbitantly.

The blue seal linked with espresso parts is too big. That is our adjusted modern lever group seal. Before that the Robot seal and the modern lever were the same.
Its more about the future serviceability than anything else. It will kind of be a shame if well, Cafelat no longer produce the V-seal and since the future is unforeseeable. And then, there are many espresso machines like Gaggia and La Pavoni somehow survived for more than 50 years.

The biggest problem if black V-seals doesn't fit the robot, then it just might not very easy to find parts in the future. This is probably the biggest flaw of the cafelat robot and would have been amazing if the black V-seal fits like standard lever machines. Its also a big problem since V-seal is a fast moving proprietary. Another problem that this might be misleading to consumers who thought generic V-seals are compatible but is not.

Like imagine that cafelat robot espresso you will drink to death, I would have loved to own one sitting beside my espresso forge.

Advertisement
Paul_Pratt

#8: Post by Paul_Pratt »

So I make sure it uses a common seal size and it is still not a good solution? I have no idea what to say.

#9: Post by Scott-ishBrewer (original poster) »

Paul_Pratt wrote:So I make sure it uses a common seal size and it is still not a good solution? I have no idea what to say.
So I'll go back to my old question, can a generic black V-seal with 52×40×7mm fit the robot? Cause I can't find any actual evidence that it does or does not? Is my friend is just unlucky? The V-seal on the Robot is 49.5×40.5×7.8mm and I think this might be concerning. Can I see it fitting on one?

If the Robot can use the black V-seal, then the robot would have become very tempting offer.
Again, its more about the future serviceability, the robot's V-seal price is fair.

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by mborkow »

Scott-ishBrewer wrote:So I'll go back to my old question, can a generic black V-seal with 52×40×7mm fit the robot? The V-seal on the Robot is 49.5×40.5×7.8mm
You answered your own question. A 52mm seal will *not* fit where a 49.5mm seal is designed to work.