Flair 58 - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
gpapa31 (original poster)

#11: Post by gpapa31 (original poster) »

boren wrote:I'm guessing this would cost as much as an entry level lever machine like the La Pavoni Europiccola which also includes a boiler (and steaming capability). I wonder who is the target audience of such a machine?

And BTW, I don't consider 58mm to be an advantage, other than the wider selection of accessories. In my experience the Quick Mill (58mm portafilter) is more prone to channeling than the Elektra (49mm) or the Flair Classic (40mm).
I have read this will be a none boiler machine, like the rest of the Flair line up, so logic dictates that it should be cheaper than the La Pavoni. If that's the case then it can have a place and can do really well. If the price is very close to any entry level boiler then I also don't see the point really, you might as well go for a boiler lever. Then again personally I don't want to be ridden with boiler and electrics maintenance. That's one of the advantages of machines like the Rok, Flair, Robot, Aram etc. But that is just me. I also I won't be making milk drinks very often so a milk steamer is not very high on my list.

With regards to the benefits or drawbacks of the portafilter size it's a topic that has been discussed to the death on hundreds of occasions in this forum. Actually I think there are 3-4 threads (with over 13 pages of content each) with people going back and forth, presenting formulas, tables and calculations about which size is better with different theories. So IMHO it is subjective. I myself went through a period that believed smaller is better then changed it to bigger is better. I have come down to conclude, that different surface size may give you slightly different results, but IMHO the rest of the elements ( beans, temp, pressure, time, grind quality/size, pre-infusion etc) in the making process are far more important.

As far as channeling goes, if it is present, it's mostly down to the operator's fault, not the machine or the basket size.

jessica_leva_jp

#12: Post by jessica_leva_jp »

boren wrote:I'm guessing this would cost as much as an entry level lever machine like the La Pavoni Europiccola which also includes a boiler (and steaming capability). I wonder who is the target audience of such a machine?

And BTW, I don't consider 58mm to be an advantage, other than the wider selection of accessories. In my experience the Quick Mill (58mm portafilter) is more prone to channeling than the Elektra (49mm) or the Flair Classic (40mm).
My first post so sorry for joining in the middle here. I have a Flair Signature (small basket, pressure gauge) which I love.
The original picture was posted on the Facebook Flair group.
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=101 ... 3452563035
I actually share your confusion about the appeal for a 58mm flair, but I can't seem to share it on the facebook group. There were some hints that the price will fall somewhere between 1.5x and 2x the price of a Flair Pro2 so the guess is $500 or $550. So yes it is looking very close to La Pavoni pricing.
I'm just glad that they will continue to make small basket classic/signature.

Advertisement
Frizt

#13: Post by Frizt »

beautiful or not

K7

#14: Post by K7 »

Whoa.
I was just about to post my desire for some electronics to preheat the group/pf to get rid of the manual preheating rituals (yes, I find even the Robot needs it for some coffees).

That image suggests it might just have it! I would upgrade instantly if true.

gpapa31 (original poster)

#15: Post by gpapa31 (original poster) »

Frizt wrote:beautiful or not
Wow, that looks like an aircraft throttle quadrant. :) Is it the real deal!?

TangyWasabi

#16: Post by TangyWasabi »

I've been a member of the Brew with Flair FB Group for probably a year now and on HB for idk how long. (Year or 2). In the FB group Andrew Pernicano who is "Head of Brand" for Flair has been heavily teasing the Flair 58 for weeks now. The original image from the OP is one of Andrews photos. It's definitely coming out, I saw some skepticism but it's coming! A few people in the FB group have even received tester units. I for one, am excited.

HB
Admin

#17: Post by HB »

I have edited out some snarky back-n-forth from the last page and closed this thread for the weekend. :roll:
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
kruzilla

#18: Post by kruzilla »

Just from a visual standpoint, I'd like them to integrate the pressure gauge into it better somehow. It looks tacked on to me. Nitpicky but I'm an illustrator so it bugs me.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#19: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

You're not the only one, and the cord should have a way of being routed down without the brick visible. In fact maybe it should have a short cord integrated into the base with an extension available. So if it was next to an outlet it would be barely visible.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

DaveB

#20: Post by DaveB »

Cord?!?
Von meinem iPhone gesendet